New hunting boots.

Aaron KS197

Can I get some insight into picking out some new hunting boots? I have been looking at a pair of Danner Pronghorns. I have seen a lot of good reviews but have also seen a few that talk about the boot leaking? I have also heard that kenetrek makes some great boots. I want to be able to use them for a wide range of hunting from elk and deer hunt to some upland game. What boots would you recommend?

If you do a search on here this question comes up a lot. You will get a lot of different info but a few brand names you will see frequently. Take a long look at that short list and call the dealers to see what is going to fit your needs the best.

I ended up with Kenetreks Non Insulated and love them. The customer service and military discount put them over the top. Schnees came in a close second.

Depends on your budget but boots are one thing you should never cheap out on. Kenetreks are great. I prefer Lowas. Lots of great boot companies out there. I don't consider danners in the same category. That's not a slam on Danner; just different price points for the delivered quality.

Kenetrek, don't waste your money on any other brand. Your feet get you where you want to hunt, don't skimp.i have the Mountain extreme 400's! Sock combo is very important, I wear a sock liners and REI expedition sock and orange superfeet insole!

I had a pair of Cabalas Meindels and they were comfortable but an eyelet pulled out. I sent them back for repair but the USPS lost them. So I found a pair of Kenetrex Mtn Extremes un insulated. I cringed at the price but bought them anyway. Best choice ever they are the most comfortable boot I've owned. Well worth the money.

Dan

Last edited:
My experiences with Danners (multiple iterations) was that they are junk. I destroyed a pair of their USA made boots in one week during a backcountry trek...stitching, sole separation, leaking. I bought a pair of Pronghorns thinking I got a faulty pair but had the same issue. Luckily Cabelas honored a return due to faulty manufacturing and I got the Meindl Denali. Those have proven to be good boots. I had them resoled after wearing them for 4 years (almost daily). They recently began to wear out only after years of abuse and scree

A quick search here or on other sites will reveal a very short list of boots which includes Hanwag, Zamberlan, Meindl, Kenetrek, Lowa, Lathrop & Sons, and others. I know some guys are happily using Solomon Questas for early season use.

I bought a pair of kenetrek’s this year, love them. Do follow their break in recommendation as I only had about 25 miles on mine and got blisters when I took them on my western hunt this year. I put in enough miles out there and upon arrival home one the blisters healed I have had no problems and they are the most comfortable boot I’ve had.

No way would I recommend a particular brand as an absolute because feet are different. Kennetrek makes a great boot but they suck for me because the heel is too sloppy. Likewise, Crispi might not work for someone because the toebox is too narrow. To say unequivocally a certain model is perfect for someone is irresponsible.

Choose good brands and try them on. Look at Kennetrek, Crispi, Schnees, Meindl, etc. I used to love Lowa but a customer service experience sours me on them forever.

Buy as much boot as you can. I wouldn’t even consider Danner Pronghorns as a viable elk hunting boot, but that is based on how/where I hunt.

JLS has hit the boot nail on the head, if they don’t fit your feet well they won’t be a great boot. I have narrow feet and have a difficult time finding boots that fit me well. Lowa makes a few styles of narrows.

Not Danner. Living in Oregon I always try to support local Oregon companies. Nosler, Leupold, Benchmade, Leatherman. I have bought two pair if Danners and it keeps getting worse. My Pronghorns were ok but horrible traction. So, I bought a pair of their Full Curl boots as they are suppose to be the top of the line. First trip the starting coming apart and they keep stretching out bigger and bigger and I don't have big feet. Cant wear them more than a day.

So I too am looking for boots. I am thinking Kenetrek as they are at least US owned.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back