Wyoming Points

CiK

Back in the day (3 years ago for me), I started buying Wyoming preference points. After doing an Idaho OTC 2 years ago as my first hunt and missing this year, I was starting to think about jumping in on Wyoming for next year.

Best I can tell though after looking at draw odds and such, I am starting to feel like I should just keep building points because most of what looks good to me can be had in the General with an option to bow hunt earlier.

What would you do with my 3 points? Build them up or burn them up? I like the option of hunting early with bow and coming back for rifle. Thanks for any and all help. New to the game.....trying to learn.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Tony

Either burn them now on a general hunt or prepare to wait a long time for a tag. It seems everyone and their cousin is buying points for WY. The point creep is horrible.

Getting that feeling, but I really hate the idea of burning them on a General.

Maybe I will just long shot a limited entry and try to hunt off my 2nd choice.

I’m right there with you. With 5 points I’m squarely in no-mans land. If I had 3 I’d be burning them on a general tag. You’re a decade from drawing anything above that including Region G. I’m to the point where I may just burn mine on a 1 or 2 point unit and then say the heck with Wyoming points.

I'm in a similar situation with elk and deer. What I learned from my pronghorn hunt a few years back is there are plenty of great opportunities in lower point units. The recent price increase is even more incentive for me , burn baby burn. If I had to do it all over I would have hunted deer and pronghorn on 2 to 4 points max. I'm not as experienced with elk to comment, but on my last couple hunts in WY I've seen tremendous animals (deer/pronghorn) taken from lower point areas.
With that said I still am confused as how exactly to burn the 6 deer and elk points for my son and I.

If I were the OP, I would use the 3 PPs for a General tag and if you have enough time go archery hunting early and then use a rifle later if you don't fill the tag with the bow. It's really not what I would call "burning" the PPs because it will take at least 2 PPs just to draw the tag in the Regular Draw and 3PPs should insure you get it.

Burn man burn!!! Otherwise you'll get caught in the point creep quicksand!!!!!!!

I appreciate the advice, everybody.

With 3 points, I can most likely draw a Limited Type 1 in units 98, 97, 51 or 34. Dumb question.....is it not worth at least trying in those units over General units and skirting the wilderness areas that are in those units?

If I were the OP, I would use the 3 PPs for a General tag and if you have enough time go archery hunting early and then use a rifle later if you don't fill the tag with the bow. It's really not what I would call "burning" the PPs because it will take at least 2 PPs just to draw the tag in the Regular Draw and 3PPs should insure you get it.

I already have approval from the CEO/CFO/COO that I can make a trip for archery and trip back for rifle if needed. I like the ability to hunt both. Definitely going to be the strategy moving forward.

Are you applying for elk in other states? Hunting or planning to hunt other states for elk in easier to draw areas or with OTC tags?

The problem is, there isn't much in the way of mid-tier units for elk in WY that are worth waiting for over a general tag. So what you have is essentially the "better" units that take 8+ to draw or a general which is taking 2 or maybe even 3.

Glad I don't have to worry about it as a resident.

I’m right there with you. With 5 points I’m squarely in no-mans land. If I had 3 I’d be burning them on a general tag. You’re a decade from drawing anything above that including Region G. I’m to the point where I may just burn mine on a 1 or 2 point unit and then say the heck with Wyoming points.

Isn’t Region G a deer management unit? I thought he was referring to elk. Not sure if it would be quite a decade to draw. I thought it was guaranteed in the past with anything over 6 points, but I guess that could change with last year’s terrible winter.

Isn’t Region G a deer management unit? I thought he was referring to elk. Not sure if it would be quite a decade to draw. I thought it was guaranteed in the past with anything over 6 points, but I guess that could change with last year’s terrible winter.

Yes, to the G comment, its a NR general deer management unit.

But, the WOGA is going to make a run at creating general elk regions for NR's similar to the deer regions...and increase the total number of NR elk tags. Should be entertaining to watch that idea circle the drain.

If I were you I would base my decision on how often I could make the trip out to hunt. If you can come out every other or 3rd year, draw General and learn an area. You have a much better chance of success and of killing some really nice elk this way, vs. waiting a decade or more for a one and done opportunity in a "premium" area.

If I were you I would base my decision on how often I could make the trip out to hunt. If you can come out every other or 3rd year, draw General and learn an area. You have a much better chance of success and of killing some really nice elk this way, vs. waiting a decade or more for a one and done opportunity in a "premium" area.

I am 100% sure I am coming out to Wyoming this next year. It’s just a matter of General or those few Limited 1’s I have access to.

In general, I am not after records, just experiences. I am too late to the game and only have so many years left of this western hunting experience. I don’t want to miss a year again. I am on the RNH prescribed strategy.....OTC’s in Idaho and Colorado and the every few years in Wyoming.

Tony

But, the WOGA is going to make a run at creating general elk regions for NR's similar to the deer regions...and increase the total number of NR elk tags. Should be entertaining to watch that idea circle the drain.

Is that supposed to take place next year or is there a set date for that yet?

Oops, I'm not sure what I was reading but I thought he was posting about a deer hunt. Since he's talking, elk, I'd encourage him even more to burn them on a general unit. The sooner you burn them, the sooner you can return and hunt an area you are familiar with.

But they need the 2,000 addl tags so their clients can draw and book hunts every year...

But they need the 2,000 addl tags so their clients can draw and book hunts every year...

Biology trumps outfitters in Wyoming...and there are NO general units that can take additional pressure and maintain quality, bull to cow ratio's, hunt quality, etc.

Its going to the public and I'm sure the public is going to slam the door on this idea.

Go in the special draw and you have more units open to you.If you don't want to spend the money then go general.You have more options with general tag.You can bowhunt 98 on general tag,and see if you like it first.Don't waste points on 34.The other 2 mentioned I'm not familiar with.

Go in the special draw and you have more units open to you.If you don't want to spend the money then go general.You have more options with general tag.You can bowhunt 98 on general tag,and see if you like it first.Don't waste points on 34.The other 2 mentioned I'm not familiar with.

I don't know why he mentioned unit 34 because last season it was only a 1 in 3 chance with 3PPs in the Regular Draw and a 2 in 3 in the Special Draw. It took at least 4PPs for a 100% draw in either one for unit 34 and it will probably not get better in 2018.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back