Virginia Public Land Bucks

50bowhunter

I grew up hunting the National Forest here in Virginia. Killed my first nice buck there in 1997 with a muzzleloader. Over the last 20 years, the deer population has drastically declined in the mountains, and you could go a week without seeing a deer, no matter how far you were willing to walk. Well the population has slowly started to come back causing me to work a little harder to find those good out of the way spots. This past August I put a trail cam at the head of a hollow about 1 1/2 miles from the road. The first picture I got was the biggest buck i've ever gotten a picture of. A huge main frame 6x6, almost unheard of in the mountains of VA. I also had pictures of several nice 8 points.

Flash forward to this past Tuesday. Time hadn't been on my side to hunt this area, and my dad being 64 doesn't like to hunt this place on his own. Its the 3rd day of general firearms season. About 45 minutes after daylight, I hear a dear walking and spot antlers coming down the ridge. After letting him come on in, I dumped a very respectable mountain 8 point with my Tikka 7mm-08. After gathering gear, I started to take some pictures when I heard my Dad shoot down the hollow. I quickly finished and drug my buck out the drainage to my dad. He said he shot at a huge buck, he believed to have at least 10 points. Dad was shooting the rifle he killed his first deer with in 1970, a Remington 722 257 Roberts. We found a blood trail and 50 yards later found the buck of a lifetime, the big 6x6. I have never experience anything like this in the outdoors. Dad has never killed a "big" buck, and seeing 47 years of hunting emotion come out was more than I could control on the side of the mountain. I said 3 months ago when I first got pictures of the 6x6, that in a perfect world, I would kill one of the 8's, and dad would kill the big guy. Well, I'm living in a perfect world right now.

23754761_10210932084160177_8359347347497595758_n.jpg
23843596_10210934270094824_3064490984825355833_n.jpg
23755163_10210934270134825_8136952362365445605_n.jpg

Wow, awesome bucks. Had a friend tell me about some trailcam pics his frinds had in highland and bath co. on the national forest. We've seen quite a few good bucks at some places we frequent as well. Hopefully the mountains around here will get back to what they once were. Maybe just less people, Ha!

Wow, awesome bucks. Had a friend tell me about some trailcam pics his frinds had in highland and bath co. on the national forest. We've seen quite a few good bucks at some places we frequent as well. Hopefully the mountains around here will get back to what they once were. Maybe just less people, Ha!

The one good thing about the low deer numbers is less people. This was Augusta County

Nice to see bucks like these are still running around. Congrats to you! I lived and hunted in Botetourt County for many years prior to moving west 6 years ago. Nobody I knew ever hunted the national forest but I had a lot of fun hunting there as well as Grayson and Craig Counties. Sure, you had to work hard for deer but I always felt the opportunities were there for anyone willing to put in the time. Plus, there were plenty of bear and turkey around as well. Two seasons before we moved, I saw 11 different bears during the early archery and muzzleloader seasons.

Beautiful bucks. We hunted in Virginia in the early 2000's. Actually shot my first few deer with a bow there. Congrats

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back