Savage Model 16 LWH 6.5 Creedmoor

wyocollier

Looking into this rifle. Has anyone has any experience with the Savage Model 16 LWH in a 6.5 Creedmoor. What are your thoughts?

Had one in 308. It was lightweight and shot well. Wasn't crazy of the lack of smoothness of the action (due to the fluting on the bolt). But it was a serviceable light hunting rifle.

I have the early version of the LWH in 260 REM and a wood stock. Sometimes a very light rifle with a thin-pencil barrel doesn't shoot as well as a more stout rifle & barrel, but I have been very impressed with the accuracy of my rifle. Nice gun to carry and I like the way it handles. I've shot a lot of Savage rifles and like their AccuTrigger, some people do not. The 260 and 6.5 Creedmoor are very similar cartridges and I really like both. I shoot 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips in mine and it shoots sub MOA. Sorry, it's not the exact setup you're asking about, but I'm a believer in both the rifle and cartridge. Also, welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the input. At first I was concerned with the recoil on such a light rifle, but a 6.5 shouldn't have much in that department so I think it would be a great lightweight rifle to pack for mule deer hunts. Hoping to learn a lot from the forum!

that rifle in a 6.5 has zero felt recoil in my opinion, and is very accurate. my brother has that same setup and has killed lots of critters with it. its easy to pack and a dream to shoot.

Last edited:
Not sure how the recoil compares to a 6.5, but I have that gun in a .308. It's a great gun to carry in the woods very light, easy to maneuver, and balances well. As mentioned above the the bolt isn't the smoothest, and it is a devil when at the shooting range. But I enjoy hunting with it and will continue to use it.

I have one... its a sub moa shooter on paper at 100 yards, gets a little looser past 400 yards but still sufficient to make a poke out to 500 yards with near moa accuracy. Recoil is very mild, .243ish. My gun is 7.2lbs scoped with a sling, compact... everything you look for in a lightweight mountain rifle. The only negative would be synthetic stock has some flex in the forearm, so you have to be a little conscious when resting the gun, although you really have to put some significant pressure to touch it to the barrel. I imagine the hardwood version alleviates that problem but adds a little weight. All in all not a deal breaker for me.

23519120_10212845801213749_134127458292305618_n.jpg

I have one... its a sub moa shooter on paper at 100 yards, gets a little looser past 400 yards but still sufficient to make a poke out to 500 yards with near moa accuracy. Recoil is very mild, .243ish. My gun is 7.2lbs scoped with a sling, compact... everything you look for in a lightweight mountain rifle. The only negative would be synthetic stock has some flex in the forearm, so you have to be a little conscious when resting the gun, although you really have to put some significant pressure to touch it to the barrel. I imagine the hardwood version alleviates that problem but adds a little weight. All in all not a deal breaker for me.

23519120_10212845801213749_134127458292305618_n.jpg

Great heavy buck!!! Good looking gun too!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back