Caribou Gear Tarp

First Antelope

Four22

Finally getting around to writing up the adventure… The deer story will follow shortly.

My cousin and I split off from my dad and our family friend looking for deer and antelope. My cousin was up for shooting after my miss from the day before………
After about a 2 mile zig sagging walk into the area, we spotted a heard of 45 antelope about a ½ mile away in a bottom between 2 ridges. We sat for 20 minutes or so formulating a game plan and decided to split and try to get closer. My cousin split and went to the east to try and get closer for a shot as there were a couple nice bucks in the group. I went west with the hopes I could get out of site of them to cross the open bottom and sneak up behind a rock pile to get within range.

After an hour of walking I had crossed the bottom and was behind a small hill in the middle of the bottom. I finally saw my cousin through the spotter and out “signal” if we couldn’t get any closer was to waive our hat above our head. I saw him wave his hat at me so I knew I was good to try and get closer.

I started off by going around the left side of the hill to see if I could see them. Poked my head up and could only see 2 of the doe that were laying down. No shot. Next I went around the right side of the hill and could only see the back couple that were bedded down. No shot.

Option 3 was to go over the top and belly up through the rocks and get on them. I wasn’t sure how far they would be if I went over the top but it was the only option. I made it to the top and the heard had decided to start moving forcing me to crawl over the crest of the hill to get a clear shot above the vegetation… I found the buck I wanted and crawled into place. Once I could clearly see him I put my pack out front for a rest and settled in for a shot. In the process, I managed to put by elbow right in the middle of a small cactus.

Cactus thorns and all I settled in, lined up a shot and BOOM…. WACK! The buck dropped in his tracks and never moved.

This is my first antelope ever and he’s a nice one in my book. No B&C but was one of the most exciting hunts I have been on.

IMG_2180.jpg
12EB03A1-08EC-447D-BCD9-BF5ED385EC0D.jpg

Congratulations! I've always thought antelope are the best looking game animal; the color & pattern, the horns, etc. Great looking buck with a really nice cape, tag-notcher for sure.

Definitely been blessed.
Here’s the big guy that’s yet to be scored...
722C3E1A-4B9C-4F35-A8F5-7BC0661A825D.jpg
8FA13BE1-2A08-4F91-92E2-A6CCAC790251.jpg

Thanks for the reply. Just trying to gauge the size of them. We are going out for antelope this year and hope to bag my first one...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back