Caribou Gear

Getting Started

What kind of table or work bench do you need for the press? Would a standard computer desk work as long as its pretty stable?

I mounted my press to a 2x6 board about 3 feet long. I use 2 C-clamps, one towards each end of the 2x6, and clamp it to a table. It makes for a portable press set up I can bring with me to hunting camp, range, or elsewhere to do some reloading.

Checking tolerances of what? Overall loaded length? I did that for years getting bullet's just off the lands and had good ammo! How far off? Not a clue in fact even today I don't know and it doesn't seem to matter. Personally I like having calipers, measure all case's before trimming and after trimming to see the correct trim length. That old plastic tool RCBS had did the same thing but didn't give length f the case. The case either fit where it was supposed to go or didn't. ammo still shot fine!

The tolerances to be paying attention to, are the amount the sizing die has moved the shoulder back on bottle necked cases and the amount the neck has been under sized for the caliber you are loading. This should be done each time the dies are being set up, if you want consistency between loading each time.
Sometimes the expander ball of the die needs polishing some to tighten the fit a little on the neck.
You won't know if it's properly sizing unless you check with your calipers.

I just noticed this thread. I'm getting into reloading as well. I just ordered a RCBS kit and will get the $100 rebate. Seemed like a pretty good deal to me.

Huronmtns has the same concept I do, mine's just a bit shorter. Great for Apts, small spaces, or even off the tailgate of the truck at the range ! Don't be fooled, it works amazingly well.

I just noticed this thread. I'm getting into reloading as well. I just ordered a RCBS kit and will get the $100 rebate. Seemed like a pretty good deal to me.

I am doing this as well. Ive picked out the RCBS supreme master kit. I’m struggling with understanding everything else that is needed. I like the powder stand and know I need a #3 shell holder along with a case cleaner. As far as dies go that is where I get confused too many options for a Creedmoor.

I am doing this as well. Ive picked out the RCBS supreme master kit. I’m struggling with understanding everything else that is needed. I like the powder stand and know I need a #3 shell holder along with a case cleaner. As far as dies go that is where I get confused too many options for a Creedmoor.

I'm having a lot of luck with Lee Ultimate die set for my 6.5 creedmoor...includes full length sizer, neck sizer, bullet seater, and factory crimp and shellholder. I don't use the factory crimp die. I had been using a standard vibration tumbler but switched to wet tumbling both have their pros and cons

Are the threads the same on all of the dies? Lee will work in Hornady and RBCS or are they brand specific? I got a email receipt that my wife just ordered the RBCS 32901 FL die set. Nice knowing what stocking stuffers I am going to get! Are those two all one needs or is there more?

Are the threads the same on all of the dies? Lee will work in Hornady and RBCS or are they brand specific? I got a email receipt that my wife just ordered the RBCS 32901 FL die set. Nice knowing what stocking stuffers I am going to get! Are those two all one needs or is there more?

Yes most (if not all) major manufacturers offer the same thread pitch 7/8-14. So Lee dies will work in RCBS press, RCBS will work in Hornady, etc. A few oddballs may be floating around but if you walk into a sporting goods store looking for dies nearly all will work...50 BMG probably won't though.

The die set that was ordered is the standard 2 die Full length sizer and bullet seating die. Yes those 2 are all you really need. You could get a fancier seating die or a neck sizing die but those are not required. RCBS and Hornady do not include Shell holders so you'll have to acquire one for your 6.5 creedmoor...the good thing about shell holders is 1 could cover a lot of your needs (6.5 creedmoor will work for all 308 and 30-06 based cartridges)

The tolerances to be paying attention to, are the amount the sizing die has moved the shoulder back on bottle necked cases and the amount the neck has been under sized for the caliber you are loading. This should be done each time the dies are being set up, if you want consistency between loading each time.
Sometimes the expander ball of the die needs polishing some to tighten the fit a little on the neck.
You won't know if it's properly sizing unless you check with your calipers.

I have and use caliper's but only for checking trim length and overall length. Needed for trim length unless you have that Lee trimmer tool I don't really need to check OLL every time I set up again. I have dies dedicated to one particular rifle. Two 243's and each has it's own dies. To get started, I neck size only with FL dies until the case will no longer chamber. At that point the die is locked to that setting and Not moved again. No need to measure after that, the cartridge's fit the chamber of that rifle. To get the right setting in the first place I do not do it by measuring. rather once the case won't chamber any more, I start sizing down the case until the MTY case chamber's easily. Some guy's like a flush fit but I don't, not sure it really matter's. The end result is to get the case to fit that chamber. Started trying collet dies fairly recently and not really all that sure how long before I have to move the shoulder back. But I have found with the collet dies, needing to trip is almost, not quite but almost, a thing of the pastn no neck expanding nipple!

Is there an advantage to knowing exactly how far off the lands you are? I don't think so other than just be off them. And using the same dies set up for that rifle it won't matter as the seat die will always seat to the same OLL! Is there an advantage to knowing the length from the bolt face to the shoulder? I don't think so! I'm quite certain if a chamber has excessive headspace it will become obvious and can usually be corrected using partial sizing! And getting back to dedicated set's of dies, once fixed, the problem say's fixed, just use the right die set fr that rifle.

I have always before recently only had one rifle in any one cartridge, much easier to have the dedicated die set! But now I have two 243's and two set of dies. Ammo from one rifle will fit in both rifle's but the ammo from the other won't! Imagine that.

Thats a great time saver to have two sets of dies for your rifles. Even though they are same caliber, it is sometimes not possible to use ammo that's custom loaded for one rifle, in another.
Knowing how far the shoulder has been moved or not moved is only important to me when I set up my resizing dies. Lots of people load ammo and never use caliper to check any single thing.
Sometimes overall length will need to be tweaked to squeeze accuracy from a load. But many loads shoot just fine without being very critical on how close the bullet is from the grooves.
I trim after every firing with the Lee trimmer system.
It surely isn't always needed ,but it makes me know it is always the same and consistency is the heart of accuracy in my opinion.
Calipers help me know what things are running at during load development. That way I can adjust as I want and see if it helps or not and know what I adjusted to.

But I am positive that I don't need to measure as much as I do.
Sometimes it is certainly a good idea, but if things are too far out the rounds won't likely chamber. So then a guy knows something needs adjusted.
Without measurements and something to measure with, it's a little more difficult to know for sure what to adjust though.

Everyone should do what works for them, I think.
I couldn't load confidently without calipers.
But that's just me being me.

2 Questiopns:

Anybody used the Lee XR Hand Priming tool? What do you think?

Also, in the press that comes with the Lee package, is it possible to remove the old primers from brass that's already been shot or do you have to use new brass everytime?

I'm looking into some of the components that come w/ the Lee Anniversary kit.

2 Questiopns:

Also, in the press that comes with the Lee package, is it possible to remove the old primers from brass that's already been shot or do you have to use new brass everytime?

Can reuse fired brass; The die set will contain a brass resizing die (either full or neck only) that also pops out the old primer

To many option's? How's that? There are standard two die set's that will do every rifle cartridge I can think of. You can get three die set's but doubt they are really needed. I have a couple three dies set's. In mine the third die is a Lee collet die I added the the set. You don't need a collet die the neck size! As someone mentioned, most dies are 7/8x13 threads and fit about all press's. Seem's there was one press that would not take them. Biggest drawback to handloading is fussing over all the stuff you or other's think you really need! You really don't need all that stuff to re-fill a bunch of case's. You can even load very accurate ammo without all the bells and whistle's. Until you have a good feel for what your doing, follow the rule of KISS, keep it simple stupid!

2 Questiopns:

Anybody used the Lee XR Hand Priming tool? What do you think?

I have the older Lee hand primming tool and the new one also.
Both work very well. I prefer the older models mechans to the new safety type. But the new model has a primer tray that is square and makes it easy to load primers from most companies square packages for primers.
Though, make no mistake, a Lee press comes with an armiture that allows primming brass on your press. So the hand tool isn't a need. But it is more convenient to hand prime for most.
And yes, your die sets remove the old primer during the resizing process. There is a hand tool to deprime brass also. But again not a need. I doubt most loaders use a separate hand deprimming tool. Though I do on some of my larger magnums that I load with RCBS dies. That's mostly because I have had the decapper pin bend or brake several times with those dies. It's not really a time saver to use a hand decapper vs just allowing the resizing die to do it. But it can make it easier to keep the old primers from falling out and going into the floor.
Reloading isn't as complicated as it sometimes sounds.
You can load with the Lee kit and no extras for awhile, then maybe decide if you want some of the extras or not. Some extras make things more convenient, but not for everyone. Some are really only for the meticulous and never used very often.
Hope you get started loading and enjoy it at least half as much as I do.

Last edited:
My wife is getting me the Lee Anniversary Challenger set for Christmas. Looking forward to getting started. And I'm in the market for a 7mm-08HT. Mainly just because I'm a fan of the .308 family and want one, but also because I want to handload for it.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Keep it coming!

My wife is getting me the Lee Anniversary Challenger set for Christmas. Looking forward to getting started. And I'm in the market for a 7mm-08HT. Mainly just because I'm a fan of the .308 family and want one, but also because I want to handload for it.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Keep it coming!

Nice! I've been using Lee Pacesetter Dies for 7mm-08...I don't use the crimp die. As said the Hornady, RCBS, Redding etc will all do what you need. I've been chasing a good load around for my 7mm-08 for a while. So far it's not real happy with 140 Etips so I'll be trying 140 accubonds or 120 TTSX. It didn't like CFE223 for powder but seems to like H4350. H4350 type powders seem to be the gold standard for medium bore cartridges. I think Reloader 17 or 19 might be worthy of a look.

EDIT: Brian if you're going with Lee for the press set, I strongly suggest buying a better balance/scale.

Last edited:
I went to Cabela's last night and looked at bullets, made me realize this is going to get expensive. A lot of the posts I see are different loads and different powders leading to a large list of combinations. Looking at quantity of issue of bullets and cost to find the one that the gun likes is going to take a bit. Any recommendations on how not to have 20 partial boxes of different bullets laying around waiting to never get used? (besides lots of range time shooting)

I went to Cabela's last night and looked at bullets, made me realize this is going to get expensive. A lot of the posts I see are different loads and different powders leading to a large list of combinations. Looking at quantity of issue of bullets and cost to find the one that the gun likes is going to take a bit. Any recommendations on how not to have 20 partial boxes of different bullets laying around waiting to never get used? (besides lots of range time shooting)

ditto on this -- from time to time I have heard about vendors selling "sample packs", but I am not really finding cross-manufacturer mixes. Anyone on HT aware of an online (or MN) vendor that sells 10 ea. of a variety of bullets of the customers choosing?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back