Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Getting Started

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in Montana View Post
    I've had trouble finding it, but I grabbed a pound of H4350 yesterday. From what I've read, that looks like you could get more MV out of that with 140grn bullet. So I figure if that's correct and I can find an accurate load, that's a win.

But my 7mm-HT is a 24" barrel so it my not make that much difference.
    I've heard that Big Game powder is the bees knees with 140s and 7-08. I've got some heading my way, so I hope to be able to tell you soon.
    83% of all statistics are made up.

I got a little overzealous with my case trimmer and trimmed several casings shorter than the "trim length". Obviously this will throw other things off, like consistency of the batch, but is it still safe to load them up and shoot them?
    Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly.

Micah 6:8

I got a little overzealous with my case trimmer and trimmed several casings shorter than the "trim length". Obviously this will throw other things off, like consistency of the batch, but is it still safe to load them up and shoot them?
    The safe, simple, beginner's answer is crush to them with a pliers and throw away - so many other variables being managed/learned not worth the pennies saved. The technically correct answer starts with the question, "how short?"
    "Freedom is NOT Free"

3 - 4 thousandths. Doesn't seem like much, but I'm pretty new at this and just really don't know.

3 - 4 thousandths. Doesn't seem like much, but I'm pretty new at this and just really don't know.
    I am new and can't give you an experienced answer, but I believe the "book" answer is that as long as the length of the neck is still at least the diameter of the bullet, AND you leave the overall loaded cartridge the same length as the properly trimmed ones (meaning you will have 3-4 thousandths more exposed bullet, as otherwise if you seat back as far in as usual you will be shrinking case volume which can increase pressures) then you should be OK. But FWIW - if its just I few I would trash them.
    "Freedom is NOT Free"

I usually trim cases below the minimum by 5 thousandths, as I hate trimming brass.

I asked a good friend of mine just now, who reloads a ton...he said even 50 thousandths under wont cause problems.

3-4 thousands, you don't have anything to worry about.
    "...the world outside, which my brother and I soon discovered, was full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the farther one gets from Missoula, Montana." -Norman Maclean

"They were still so young they hadn't learned to count the odds and to sense they might owe the universe a tragedy"
    -Norman Maclean

Buzz is correct. Don’t even worry if some are a few thou short and others are at trim length, you won’t see the difference.

A 4 thousands shorter trim is perfectly fine.

On to the next question. I seem to have another one every time I touch my press.

Here goes: I just loaded up another batch of test loads for my .308. I was pretty meticulous on the case lengths, I'd say I got them all within 3 thousandths of an inch of one another. I was using 165grn Scirocco II's, started with 42 grains of Varget and worked my way up in .5 grain increments to 46 grains. The last 3 loads (45grn, 45.5grn, and 46grn) were all compressed a little. I started noticing 2 things, the COL's were coming out a little longer, and the more the powder increased, there was a small ring about a third of the way down ogive scored into the bullet where I'm guessing the die put more pressure on the bullet in order to seat it.

I don't believe the little scored ring (just noticeable) is a problem. But, when I measure my 42grn load at 2.747" and my 46grn load at 2.759" I wonder if I have a problem. It seems I have 3 options:

1. Don't worry about it, just see how they shoot.

2. Adjust the die and run the higher loads again to seat them more uniformly to the rest of the batch.

3. Scrap the higher loads.

Any advice?

Anything I haven't considered?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456