Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Getting Started

The max length is just that, how long the case can be. If it exceeds that, it needs trimmed. However, you don’t want to trim every loading, so you trim to the minimum length or a set “trim to” length. There is not a wrong answer, just try to keep them trimmed to the same length if you’re searching for gnats ass accuracy.

I did my test today and posted it over on the Mag Speed vrs Chronograph thread.

For keeping my loads separated I went took the snack ziplocks I make my kids lunch with. I made up 5 round baggies with a paper slip. Threw them all in a box and took that to the range.

When working up loads, I use ziplock bags with all my info on an index card. If it's an accurate load at the velocity that I want, the card gets saved as well as saved in my Caldwell app with a pic of the target.

I'm tuned in for the results as well. I'm going thru the same process for my new 7mm 08. Varget and 140 Accubonds is going to be on the menu for this coming weekend.

I use Varget for my 120 grain NBT, but didn't like the velocity with the 140 grain Accubonds. RL16 gave me 2800fps with 140 grain Accubonds in a 20" barrel. I haven't worked past the book max and haven't finished fine tuning the load. However, the load appears to be accurate.

I use Varget for my 120 grain NBT, but didn't like the velocity with the 140 grain Accubonds. RL16 gave me 2800fps with 140 grain Accubonds in a 20" barrel. I haven't worked past the book max and haven't finished fine tuning the load. However, the load appears to be accurate.

I've had trouble finding it, but I grabbed a pound of H4350 yesterday. From what I've read, that looks like you could get more MV out of that with 140grn bullet. So I figure if that's correct and I can find an accurate load, that's a win.

But my 7mm-HT is a 24" barrel so it my not make that much difference.

I've had trouble finding it, but I grabbed a pound of H4350 yesterday. From what I've read, that looks like you could get more MV out of that with 140grn bullet. So I figure if that's correct and I can find an accurate load, that's a win.

But my 7mm-HT is a 24" barrel so it my not make that much difference.

I've heard that Big Game powder is the bees knees with 140s and 7-08. I've got some heading my way, so I hope to be able to tell you soon.

I got a little overzealous with my case trimmer and trimmed several casings shorter than the "trim length". Obviously this will throw other things off, like consistency of the batch, but is it still safe to load them up and shoot them?

I got a little overzealous with my case trimmer and trimmed several casings shorter than the "trim length". Obviously this will throw other things off, like consistency of the batch, but is it still safe to load them up and shoot them?

The safe, simple, beginner's answer is crush to them with a pliers and throw away - so many other variables being managed/learned not worth the pennies saved. The technically correct answer starts with the question, "how short?"

3 - 4 thousandths. Doesn't seem like much, but I'm pretty new at this and just really don't know.

I am new and can't give you an experienced answer, but I believe the "book" answer is that as long as the length of the neck is still at least the diameter of the bullet, AND you leave the overall loaded cartridge the same length as the properly trimmed ones (meaning you will have 3-4 thousandths more exposed bullet, as otherwise if you seat back as far in as usual you will be shrinking case volume which can increase pressures) then you should be OK. But FWIW - if its just I few I would trash them.

3 - 4 thousandths. Doesn't seem like much, but I'm pretty new at this and just really don't know.

I usually trim cases below the minimum by 5 thousandths, as I hate trimming brass.

I asked a good friend of mine just now, who reloads a ton...he said even 50 thousandths under wont cause problems.

3-4 thousands, you don't have anything to worry about.

Buzz is correct. Don’t even worry if some are a few thou short and others are at trim length, you won’t see the difference.

On to the next question. I seem to have another one every time I touch my press.

Here goes: I just loaded up another batch of test loads for my .308. I was pretty meticulous on the case lengths, I'd say I got them all within 3 thousandths of an inch of one another. I was using 165grn Scirocco II's, started with 42 grains of Varget and worked my way up in .5 grain increments to 46 grains. The last 3 loads (45grn, 45.5grn, and 46grn) were all compressed a little. I started noticing 2 things, the COL's were coming out a little longer, and the more the powder increased, there was a small ring about a third of the way down ogive scored into the bullet where I'm guessing the die put more pressure on the bullet in order to seat it.

I don't believe the little scored ring (just noticeable) is a problem. But, when I measure my 42grn load at 2.747" and my 46grn load at 2.759" I wonder if I have a problem. It seems I have 3 options:

1. Don't worry about it, just see how they shoot.

2. Adjust the die and run the higher loads again to seat them more uniformly to the rest of the batch.

3. Scrap the higher loads.

Any advice?

Anything I haven't considered?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back