Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting Started

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Addicting View Post
    I went to Cabela's last night and looked at bullets, made me realize this is going to get expensive. A lot of the posts I see are different loads and different powders leading to a large list of combinations. Looking at quantity of issue of bullets and cost to find the one that the gun likes is going to take a bit. Any recommendations on how not to have 20 partial boxes of different bullets laying around waiting to never get used? (besides lots of range time shooting)
    I would suggest looking at cup and core bullet's, they are about half what the premium bullet's are! And little known fact, choose them properly and they do as well as any premium bullet.

Never liked the Lee scale but maybe it's changed, I don't know. Lee dies do the same thing as Redding, did I say that? Well I have both and they do! But admit to liking the Redding better. This whole business of reloading really get's out of hand sometime's. You can spend as much as you want or very little and do the same job! Once you get going good you can decide what you really want, you likely won't need it but you will want it! Once your going watch gun shows. Lot of overpriced stuff there but you really don't need to buy it. Last gun show I went to I got 100 new Win 243 case's for $25 and 1000, one brick, of CCI 200's for $20!

I ordered the RCBS master supreme kit with the intention of loading the 130g Accubonds for my Creedmoor. Problem is that I wonder and daydream too much. After looking at the Barnes and Sencar, I know I won’t be happy until I shoot them. I have a feeling I am going to have little to no self control in staying with 1 bullet, 1 powder, and 1 primer.
    Then just change your "worry" to an expectation that you may have a bunch of partial bullet boxes! I've been very happy with Scenars out of my 260 on pronghorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in Montana View Post
    I tend to have an aversion to the trendy. ��
    this +1
    "Freedom is NOT Free"

I came across a YouTube vid the other night of a guy using his Lee press to resize .308 brass to 7mm-08. Something about that just doesn't really seem like a great idea. Is that a safe thing to do and isn't the 7-08 cartridge a little longer than the .308?
    Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly.

Micah 6:8

I came across a YouTube vid the other night of a guy using his Lee press to resize .308 brass to 7mm-08. Something about that just doesn't really seem like a great idea. Is that a safe thing to do and isn't the 7-08 cartridge a little longer than the .308?
    They are essentially the same below the neck. Necking down will leave thicker/longer neck, so trimming and thinning the neck gets them to spec. Seems like a lot of extra work, but see no reason that they would be unsafe -- as I understand, this is how 7mm08 was developed in the first place.
    "Freedom is NOT Free"

OK, so with regard to cleaning brass. How important is it to use a tumbler to clean brass that has been fired only once before? For example, factory ammo that has been shot once at the range and put right in a container - does that brass really need to be run through a tumbler before reloaded?

OK, so with regard to cleaning brass. How important is it to use a tumbler to clean brass that has been fired only once before? For example, factory ammo that has been shot once at the range and put right in a container - does that brass really need to be run through a tumbler before reloaded?
    Nope. mtmuley

I don’t even own a tumbler.
    Fear the beard....

Quote Originally Posted by JLS View Post
    I don’t even own a tumbler.
    I didn't for a long time either, but now wonder how I lived without one.
    "...the world outside, which my brother and I soon discovered, was full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the farther one gets from Missoula, Montana." -Norman Maclean

"They were still so young they hadn't learned to count the odds and to sense they might owe the universe a tragedy"
    -Norman Maclean

10. Default

At one time I was low on 243 case's and couldn't find any. Ran some military 308 case's through the 243 die and necked them down in one pull. Didn't need to do anything but trim to length.

Picked up my bench yesterday and had to switch my RCBS order over to Amazon to get it here by Christmas and for the rebate program. Just need to source the components. Where normally has the best deals on bullets and powder? Midway?

Or Midsouth. I usually buy powder local during load development, then I stock up on my way through Missoula.
    Fear the beard....

Picked up my bench yesterday and had to switch my RCBS order over to Amazon to get it here by Christmas and for the rebate program. Just need to source the components. Where normally has the best deals on bullets and powder? Midway?
    For nosler bullets, the seconds from shooters pro shop are hard to beat...I usually buy 500-1k at a time when they have what I need. Bullets don't go bad.
    "...the world outside, which my brother and I soon discovered, was full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the farther one gets from Missoula, Montana." -Norman Maclean

"They were still so young they hadn't learned to count the odds and to sense they might owe the universe a tragedy"
    -Norman Maclean

BuzzH, have you had any issues the blemish Accubonds? I see they say they are cosmetic and won’t effect performance. Thier price point is pretty hard to pass up especially with the military discount.

BuzzH, have you had any issues the blemish Accubonds? I see they say they are cosmetic and won’t effect performance. Thier price point is pretty hard to pass up especially with the military discount.
    I know your question was directed to Buzz but I've been shooting Nosler seconds exclusively in 5 or 6 different rifles. Never had an issue except regret that I didn't stock up on more 7mm Accubonds. Most recent ShootersProShop purchase was 182 grain 30cal Etips...picked them up for about $0.25 each which is 1/3 the retail price.
    Last edited by Mthuntr; 12-10-2017 at 08:29 PM.

Not at all...in fact, I cant even find a blemish on any of them. Sometimes, they also have good deals on the over-runs, that I don't believe are seconds.

Been shooting them for a long time in .22, .243, .25, .284, .30, and .338 without a single problem...probably the last 15 years or so?

At the price point, I don't mind shooting steel with them, using them for load development...really like practicing and hunting with the same bullet.

I've also never read anything about anyone having any kind of trouble with them.

-Norman Maclean

Powder is best bought locally unless you are buying in large quantities due to the hazmat fee.

Most all my larger centerfire bullets are bought through SPS.

My next question: If you're reloading brass for a specific rifle that was already shot in that specific rifle, is it still necessary to use a resizing die and case trimmer?

I'm guessing it probably is, primarily for the sake of consistency. ???

My next question: If you're reloading brass for a specific rifle that was already shot in that specific rifle, is it still necessary to use a resizing die and case trimmer?

You have to resize, but if already fired and dedicated to the same rifle then you can “neck resize” vs full resize, assuming you have the die that for.
    "Freedom is NOT Free"

You don’t have to trim every time, but check the cases after every time through the sizing did. If they are over or at max length, trim them all at the same time.

I full length size mine at every loading.
    Fear the beard....

As the guys have said already, yes you have to resize your brass after every firing. The neck must be squeezed back down to a diameter that will hold your bullet firmly.
    You may want to use a collet die set that only neck sizes or adjust your full length resizing die to size the brass as little as necessary. Or full length resize to factory specs.
    Trimming isn't usually needed until brass has been sized and or fired three or four times. But, that depends on the load you use and the amount you resized the brass, working it to flow brass toward the neck area more or less.
    If you have the Lee type trimmer then running them through the trimmer each or every other loading isn't a big deal. It will only trim the ones that need it and won't alter the ones that are good to go. That's what I do.
    The case mouths should be chamfered each and every loading and be sure to clean those primer pockets every time you load too. A cruded up primer pocket won't allow proper seating of the new primer and cause mis-fires or feeding trouble.
    If you use a trimmer that has an adjustable cutter depth then be careful and measure properly before and after trimming. Especially when setting it up to trim.
    Brass that's way too short is better than too long but, not good either way.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123