MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Whitetail - Thoughts on Score?

Hoffmann

Hey Folks,

I got my biggest whitetail to date in Ohio this year, minutes from home.
I was more than a mile deep and it was 70+ degrees that morning, I quartered the deer and packed it out. Had buzzards on the carcass between trips to the truck already, flies were a shit show, needless to say it was HOT and I was RUSHED. I did not measure the deer because I wanted to get him to the taxidermist ASAP and we didn't measure there either. I love hunting for the experience and the meat, I try not to get too hung up on score but now i'm kicking myself and the curiosity is getting the best of me.

I wanted to stay conservative at 135". Another hunter agreed with 135". A second hunter who put his hands on it said above 140". Taxidermist says above 140". Cousin says 190" but he gets a little excited.. a 136" frame at the taxidermist fit inside of this guy's rack.

Just curious what some of you guys might think and wanted to share. Happy Hunting.

DSCN0062.jpg

RSCN0066.jpg

I think he may gross over 140" (probably around 142-145") but deductions will knock him back quite a bit because of the extra points and the 5th point on the right side. Nice buck, and I wouldn't be too concerned about the score either. Congrats.

I'd say 140. Nice buck. Question: looks like inside spread is about 17" (that's important in measuring). Just outside the ears... is that right???

good luck to all
the dog

Grab a flexible 1/4 thick tape and score him- it's easy if you go to the Boone / Crockett website. The site explains how to score them and it isn't hard to do. You should be able to score it to within a couple inches of what an official scorer would get. They even have a calculator that you can plug the numbers into and it adds/subtracts everything for you.

Regardless of what he scores- it's a great buck ! Congrats on your success.

Pictures can be deceiving at times, but I would guess in the neighborhood of 150 gross. Could be a little more or a little less. Looks to have great mass and really nice tines as well.
Whatever he scores, it doesn't matter. He is a GREAT buck! Congrats!

Sounds like you aren't in posession of the rack right now to score it. At a glance Id say 140s, but I try to be conservative when guessing. The stiff arm photo throws off size perspective, but the first photo gives a truer picture of what he is. A side view would drastically increase accuracy because a bucks inside corner of eye to tip of nose will run more or less 7.5", so that adds some perspective. Your cousins number is grossly exagerated and I saw this a lot back in my taxidermy days. Guys would show up with bucks that they had over estimated (guessed) by a lot.
I'll say this......He's a beautiful buck. The buck carries his mass really well, so that helps your score.

I'd go 152 gross on the generous end and 141 gross on the conservative end. If net score is your thing, he's going to take a beating without a g4 on his left side (at least I dont see one).

Congrats on a beautiful buck.

Last edited:
Very nice deer but one of those because of the extra points (deducts) would net close to 120 in my opinion. I have some deer that don’t score as well as some others I have but side by side I’d shoot the lower scoring one every time.

Great buck! Congrats.
He's over 140 gross all day long. That's probably conservative.
Nets are for fish.

Its very hard to tell without multiple angles, but he looks very nice to me! Do you have any shots from the side?

He will be 150 give or take 5 for gross. Make sure and update us with an official score when/if you get one.

Your cousin must have gotten VERY excited to come up with 190.

Last edited:
I think he may gross over 140" (probably around 142-145") but deductions will knock him back quite a bit because of the extra points and the 5th point on the right side. Nice buck, and I wouldn't be too concerned about the score either. Congrats.

^^^THIS^^^ The one in my avatar only scored 148 with his minor deductions. You will have more based on the extra points and right side. Either way, I would shoot that buck in a second, Congrats!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back