Favorite western towns

I've lived in several of the dream locations in Montana. I guess I could say I'm living the dream...just somebody else's. Many of the ones listed would be good for me. My short stint in Forsyth was one of my favorites though as single, recent college grad I didn't know it at the time. I have a few other favorites though I certainly wouldn't share with you internet scouters ;):hump:

I've lived in several of the dream locations in Montana. I guess I could say I'm living the dream...just somebody else's. Many of the ones listed would be good for me. My short stint in Forsyth was one of my favorites though as single, recent college grad I didn't know it at the time. I have a few other favorites though I certainly wouldn't share with you internet scouters ;):hump:

Dillon is a good place to live if you're a hunter or fisherman. We won't tell anyone though.

My wife likes the Bozeman area. I like Lewistown, MT. I also like Chama, NM. I'll be heading there Saturday!

kacz_024.jpg
Ha!

To bad my wife won't move from her parents here in Ohio. There are a several towns listed on here that are in need of water/wastewater operators right now :( They actually pay pretty good from the looks of it.

During my high school and college summers I spent a few weeks each summer around Blue Mesa Reservoir fly fishing as much as I could. One of my favorite towns was Lake City, CO. It was a great little town with a free museum, great ice cream and incredible views. I don't think I've ever caught prettier little rainbows and brookies than I did in the little streams near that town. It has been 17 years since I have been there, but would love to take my family there someday. Hopefully it hasn't become too touristy like a lot of old towns.

I'm going to go with New Castle, WY.

1st they have a place called the Pizza Barn, but serves a Prime Rib that rivals anyone else's, anywhere.

2nd, there's Woody's grocery. 20ish cutie at the check out had absolutely NO qualms bending over to expose her wobble-wobbles any chance she got and made every effort she could to keep me talkin' while I was in the check-out line.

3rd, carefree deer blockin' traffic (traffic ?? in New Castle??) on Mainstreet at high Noon. Yeah they knew it was hunting season and could have cared less.

4th, I didn't meet one single person that showed themselves as a Freakin' idiot. Everyone was socially and intellectually astute. All were polite, all welcoming, and no one seemed to worried about what time of day it was, nor pressured to 'hurry' anything.

I'll be back, as soon as I can draw another 'Lope tag.

I totally agree. Even when I was there a few years ago there was a little hottie with cleavage in the grocery store. Taco John's was some good fast food. I can't stress the Pizza barn enough. The only downside is that they have ruined the antelope hunting. They seem to have found a little cash cow and make an easy to draw tag with 1 point and slaughter all of the bucks over 12 inches. The only smart thing they did was reduce the doe tags after the winter kill a few years back.

What are some of your favorite western towns to either live in, travel to, hunt out of, or are most friendly to hunters? I will start out by putting one of my favorites Arvada, Wyoming. Straight out of the 1800s.

If you like Arvada then you should also like Lieter and Spotted Horse!!

Dayton, WY is a nice little town.

ClearCreek

Every summer I would go out on the job with dad across the west. He was a hot plant supervisor and we'd generally stay in motels in small towns. It was a pretty sweet way to grow up and i learned one thing: people across the west are generally good folks, so I vote for all of them.

https://g.co/kgs/woPEZd

Ben, Excellent post. There are many wonderful people as you travel the west. My business travel is often in the midwest or south and I find the same genuine nature. We've good lots of great folks in our country. Troy

I detest tourist towns, Crested Butte went down the tubes long ago. Steamboat Springs was a cool place to grow up but the tourist thing killed it too. I kind of like Nucla/Naturita.

Last edited:
You are right Fairchase. Sometimes this iPad auto corrects me and I don't catch it. Anyway I've been there came in through the back door so to speak. I've probably traveled more gravel roads in the West than I have pavement and in all kinds of weather.

Back