Yeti GOBOX Collection

Favorite western towns

375H&H

What are some of your favorite western towns to either live in, travel to, hunt out of, or are most friendly to hunters? I will start out by putting one of my favorites Arvada, Wyoming. Straight out of the 1800s.

Tombstone Az. Some big bucks, lots of quail and javelina. Stuff gets pretty weird in town after dark. Just a cool place to hang out

I have generally been welcomed as a hunter though rarely as an out-of-stater. I have a buddy that puts local plates on his vehicle when he parks at a trailhead. He gets them off of eBay. Less monkey business with his rig that way.

I enjoyed Rawlins, Cody and Jackson in WY. Idaho Falls in ID. Ely in NV. Leadville in CO. Whitefish in MT. Flagstaff in AZ. Burns in OR.

I'm from the Pocatello area in Idaho, and can't complain, I-15 runs N-S, and I-86 gets me further west! Can be to some great hunting and fishing within an hour's drive!

Froid MT. No cell service, techni color landscape, lot's of birds, friendly people.

Stanley ID, best mountain setting.

Arvada! That is so ironic as I was just there a month ago. You are so correct about how it is out of the 1800s. I love that bar. My daughter and I had a burger in there and had some great conversations with the locals.

Flagstaff AZ for me. Forty years of fun and frolic, 120 inches of snow, great elk, Kaibab deer and only 4 hours to Las Vegas, great summer weather and the Grand Canyon only 75 miles away. GJ

I have a several Medicine Lake Montana, Lewistown Montana, Saratoga Wyoming, and last but not least Beaver Utah. That last one is a terrible name for any town, but it really is a cool small town.

Bozeman Montana

Bumper to bumper traffic, great new roundabouts.
Lots of roosters, huns, whitetail bucks - no access.
RO driftboats behind Toyota Tundras driven by large-bearded, flat billed cap wearing 20-30 somethings parked by the dozens at assorted microbreweries.
"Save Bozeman" signs in every east side yard in town - where a tiny house within walking distance to the sushi bar runs about $425,000.
Sitka clad folks everywhere.
Landscaping, dry walling, cement finish, and property management jobs by the thousands.
Body slamming-rich guy-man walked with dinosaur-politicians.

Used to be a great place........

Forsyth,Montana is an outdoorsman paradise.Has all the big game close by,great bird hunting,and fishing on the yellowstone.I'd move there in a minute
Lander,Wyoming was a decent place to stop for a night before heading into the elk mountains.In fact,I like almost every town I've been to in Wyoming
Fairplay and Gunnison Colorado are really nice

Bozeman Montana

RO driftboats behind Toyota Tundras driven by large-bearded, flat billed cap wearing 20-30 somethings parked by the dozens at assorted microbreweries.
"Save Bozeman" signs in every east side yard in town - where a tiny house within walking distance to the sushi bar runs about $425,000.
Landscaping, dry walling, cement finish, and property management jobs by the thousands.

Funny...my family thinks Bozeman is great and they think we need to drive up there every week. I share some of the same thoughts as you. I'd rather stay in the Madison Valley. To answer the OPs question, I really like West Yellowstone in the winter when the tourists aren't there. There's snow sledding and ice skating for the kids and people ride snowmobiles right down main street.

Bozeman Montana

Bumper to bumper traffic

Sorry. That’s hilarious. You guys in MT don’t know how good you have it. I grew up in SW MT and have lived in New York City, Dallas, Philly, and San Antonio since then. Just be thankful. Even for your “traffic”

Bozeman Montana

Wish I could disagree.

Sorry. That’s hilarious. You guys in MT don’t know how good you have it. I grew up in SW MT and have lived in New York City, Dallas, Philly, and San Antonio since then. Just be thankful. Even for your “traffic”

That is a just plain stupid comparison.

Lots of towns in MT I enjoy, but one of the unique ones is Zortman, MT. Unique setting built in a secluded 'canyon', ( I guess) and an outside jail for the rowdies !!

Laramie WY, mainly because of the library and it's brews. I also really enjoyed Boise, bummer they have st income tax. Oh Meeteetsee is a cool little town too with nice folks.

That is a just plain stupid comparison.

Just sayin’ that if you live in Bozeman, you have a lot to be thankful for. If comparing that special corner of the world to other corners of the world is stupid, then I guess I’m guilty as charged. But I digress... Since this was a thread of “favorite western towns” let’s continue the topic rather than bash Bozeman or rush to its defense.

Last edited:
Back