Caribou Gear

Taxidermy - Switch antlers on old shoulder mount?

Bagel_7

Last year I found a shoulder mount on offerup for $40. I purchased the mount thinking one day I would swap out the antlers with a buck of my own. Well this year I shot my first 4x4 (not massive) and didn't feel it necessary to get him mounted. But if I could have the antlers swapped, and the ears fixed on the offerup mount I would do it.

I've watched a few youtube videos and saw the process to swap the antlers, however I think I'd rather pay to have it done. Any ideas on what something like this would cost?

Fix the ears, and swap the antlers.

WrA1v5F.jpg

dlggL75.jpg

Rmb8Spf.jpg

The mount that you are wanting to swap the antlers on already has some problems with the split ears.

I don't think you are going to find a reputable taxidermist that would be willing to do the swap on a mount that has issues like that but maybe they could. I don't see how they can even fix the ears with them split like that. From a labor perspective it would take a good taxidermist longer to try to fix that one than it would to do a new mount from scratch I think. Maybe one of those where you just try to do it on your own and glue the crap out of it after you are done and hope it holds for a while.

With all that said I really don't have any idea what I'm talking about. LOL.

My dad has been a taxidermist for many years and I don't think he would attempt to do an antler swap on that mount. It is in pretty bad shape. Swapping the antlers out...at least how dad does it..requires re-hydrating the hide covering the skull plate, pulling stitches, placing the new antlers and sewing it back up. I'm not sure that that mount would survive the process.

Thank you guys for the input. I was half expecting those responses. The old mount is definitely in rough shape. That is why I figured I'd run it by the forum before I spoke with a taxidermist and insulted them.

Keep the responses coming though thank you. I appreciate your thoughts on the subject.

I bet you could just buy a new cape from somewhere for a whole lot less money and trouble than that old ratty mount is going to cost you...

It sounds like I should just get the euro mount put up on the wall and forget the idea. I don't want to spend the money to mount that buck. At least for now.

You can always hold onto the euro and buy a cape in the future. I shot a buck I was hesitant to mount this year that's what I'm doing or even use a cape off. Another buck you shoot in the future.

Getting a cape is not the problem, I just didn't feel this buck was big enough to mount. Although I don't have any deer mounted yet.

Maybe the next question is, should I mount this buck? It's my first buck that isn't a small forky, first 4x4, first out of state deer hunt, first time in family hunting camp. Maybe that merits mounting him. The size is less important than the other factors that made this an amazing hunt.

The euro looks better than the shoulder mount. Why not just get a skull hanger and put the euro on the wall. You can use the horns on the mount for rattling or decorative shelf knickknacks. Toss the rest of the mount. You got your $40 worth of value.

I bet you could just buy a new cape from somewhere for a whole lot less money and trouble than that old ratty mount is going to cost you.../QUOTE]

Getting a new cape is fairly cheap, or you could grab the cape off your next buck and get it even cheaper. If it were me that is the direction I would go.

Bagel_7

Your buck is cool. If mounting him makes you remember the good times you had in camp, save up and get a good quality mount. You should be able to pick up a cape for under $50. Tanning will be extra of course but is included in the cost of the mount. Even better, enjoy your euro for a year or two and use a cape off a buck you kill in the future that may be less meaningful in terms of memories.
Whatever you do, in terms of a head mount, get a quality mount or leave it as it is. You will be looking at a mount for 20 years if it is a good one, or hiding it in the garage in 6 months after your friends snicker and laugh if you get a bad one. :)

Congrats on your buck!

I just saw an ad someone was selling a buck shoulder mount with no horns for $200 not sure if that helps you out or not but I can PM you the info if you'd like

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back