A touch of gluttoney

jryoung

My friend Jonathan came into town from Vietnam so we engaged in our usual punishment of our livers. I had a few friends over for a dinner that we’ve been doing for over 10 years now, Wild and Gamey 6.0. It was a school night so we kept it to three savory courses, plus dessert and some cheese to start.
The first course was a cold salmon salad with kimchee. I gently roasted the salmon fillets in my big green egg under indirect charcoal, but as a twist I put in a couple larger chucks of pecan that added a delicate smoke which I was really quite pleased with. The acidity of the kimchee was great with the fat of the salmon and the light smoke.

Next was a noodle dish that was supposed to be soba noodles, but was a last-minute change to ramen due to poor planning on my part. I jokingly called in bacon and eggs to my friends that they ran with it as it had wild boar bacon and a quail egg yolk. The broth was something I wish I kept better notes on, it took me the better part of three days to make. It was a base caribou stock, the I added a mirepoix and continued to cook and reduce. I threw in some chicken foot stock that I had for viscosity and I added some ‘strattu that I made this summer, dried shitakes, and a touch of miso. It was amazing, and paired brilliantly with the 1964 Nuits Saint Georges.

Last of the savory courses was sliders three ways. Caribou burger with bacon jam, wine and tomato roasted elk, and grilled pronghorn loin with mushroom jus. My brioche buns were a bit of a fail, I continue to suck at baking, but they were all still quite good.

Finally wife made her grandmothers recipe of pumpkin coffee cake. To me, baking spices and old sauternes/barsacs just go together like hookers and cocaine. A little spice, lots of sweetness and a great way to finish an evening with great friends. Except there were some emergency cigars. One of these days I’m going to make it to Vietnam and have Jonathan take me around to some of his haunts in Saigon.

salmon.jpg

ramen.jpg

sliders.jpg

cake.jpg

cigars.jpg

wine 1.jpg

wine2.jpg

I’m obviously in the Pop Warner leagues and JR is in the NFL of cooking.

Gourmet magazine worthy! I would hazard a submission to Bon Appetit would get a long look.

mire·poix
mirˈpwä/Submit
noun
a mixture of sautéed chopped vegetables used in various sauces.

"Everything in moderation...including moderation."...Julia Childs

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back