Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

What the ???????

Flatrock

Oh the stuff you see when out hunting... Maybe they wanted to have a picnic in the backcountry? Nothing like dragging a 30-40 quart cooler across the hills!

20171118_074402 - Copy2.jpg

one time in Idaho I was several hundred yards up the side of a steep canyon. There was a jeep trail in the bottom and before long I could hear a four wheeler driving up the trail. There was one guy driving and two guys on the front rack and two more guys on the back rack, all decked out in orange and packing a rifle. I quickly got behind a big rock and stayed there until they were well out of sight.

I did that when I was young and dumb. Backpacking into Spirit Lake in the Pecos Wilderness above Santa Fe. We got about ½ mile up a steep hill.

No way.

Carried it back to the truck. Spirit Lake was about 7 miles in and all uphill, but we were not going with beer for 5 days. We did hike out the next day with empty backpacks and carried it back in. Mountain stream kept it as cold as an ice chest.

Subsequent trips, whiskey was the drink of choice. Still used the stream water as a mixer.

40 years ago. I miss the young phase. The dumb hung around.

Meh, I've done it. Shot an antelope about a quarter mile from the truck and instead of dragging it back or quartering it and backpacking it the wife and I grabbed the cooler and loaded the quarters into that.

I kind of compare this to hunters who bring a game cart with them on a mountain hunt, not sure how well it works, but if they want to put the effort in then more power to them.

One time while scouting for a new hunting spot for my friend we were hoping we would be able to find a secluded place. We were watching a couple nice bucks when from a couple ridges over I see a couple people. Whip up my binocs and see a guy and a lady. He has binocs on his chest as well. Right away I was like shoot, this secluded place and there are people in here scouting already. But they were standing right on the skyline so I figured they can't be scouting as they would never make that mistake if they were serious enough to be out there a month before season. We focus our attention back on the bucks when all of a sudden my friend looked over at them again. To make a long story short they got it on right there in the middle of nowhere on the skyline. What are the odds we were around to invade their privacy.

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back