Buying preference points in Wyoming

Jimmows

Hey fellow DIY junkies, question, since me being a first time Wyoming pronghorn hunter, if I were to buy a preference point would I have a chance at drawing a better than average unit? Can I even buy a Preference point with a first time application? Any thoughts?

Hey fellow DIY junkies, question, since me being a first time Wyoming pronghorn hunter, if I were to buy a preference point would I have a chance at drawing a better than average unit?

Yes.
Can I even buy a Preference point with a first time application? Any thoughts?
Yes. You can just buy preference points if you don't put in the draw. I believe the preference point purchase starts in July and ends in September or October.

Thanks for response

Thank you for responding. I will keep that in mind.

The point you buy with your first application will not be used until the following year, and if you want to buy the point and apply at the same time, you will get the point money returned if you draw a first choice, full price license.

It's too late to buy a point this year. Next year you can either apply for a tag and get a point if you don't draw or wait until the summer and just buy a point.

Also, there are good antelope in every unit in Wyoming. There are great antelope in most of the units. And there are fantastic antelope in quite a few of the units so you can't go wrong with any unit you pick.

Thanks to the random draw pool in Wyoming everyone has a chance to draw a tag in any unit with zero points. (nearly every unit?)

If an antelope hunt is on your list next year or every year, always put in for the draw because you just may luck out and get your tag! if you don't, you still get a point that year for not drawing and your chances look better for the future. You might as well put your name in the hat than sit on the sidelines.

With the Wyoming tag price increase I would imagine your special draw odds are going to be better compared to what we've seen in the last few years comparatively, and preference draw may get worse from usual 'specials' now joining the preference pool to save some cash. Just a guess..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back