His first long tail!

HuntCA

I Was able to get my son out on a pheasant hunt this last Saturday and he shot his 2 bird limit(i did too). This was a hunt sponsored by the CA DFW and was a planted bird hunt to encourage new hunters and get people excited about the sport. I know most here scoff at a planted hunt, but for newbies it's perfect. With a very high percentage of success these controlled hunts are a great way to get youngsters to buy into the sport. My son is the perfect example. For many reasons I did not get a chance to get him started early and often, so it's been tough to pull him away from friends and computers, but with some encouragement from his mom he went and humored the old man. Much to my surprise, by the end of it, he would not stop talking about how fun it was and when we could go again. The next time it'll be to someplace with wild birds.

Sadly we have no wild birds in the lower half of the state. Believe it or not, this hunt was in the middle of the desert at a wildlife area(outside of Barstow) that had some fields planted with milo by the DFW. We were paired with a great hunter with a great dog(thanks John and Lady). Without the dog's help, we'd of walked past most of them. They held so tight you almost had to boot them in the air. He had some rooster feaver but by the end of it, he settled down and dropped his two.

Just so proud, I had to tell the world. Silly, but I have such strong good memories of going every fall upland hunting with my dad when he was with us, I wanted to carry on the tradition. I thought that might not happen, and it would be OK if it didn't, but just maybe this little bit ties all 3 generations together for now. Thanks for listening.

Hope these photo and video links work:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZSnlX9XFbe81hzLo2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/T6ZatgwmJcw7g0Bm1

[video]https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jc11wOqpI6Ef8AF22[/video]View attachment 76992

Congratulations to you and your son. Did you come across any quail or dove where you were hunting? You might have an easier time finding places to hunt for those species if the pheasant are hard to come by on public land. I have a friend that used to hunt a lot of quail around Ridgecrest and Landcaster. All was on BLM land out in the desert. Good luck to you and you son on his new passion.

Congratulations to you and your son. Did you come across any quail or dove where you were hunting? You might have an easier time finding places to hunt for those species if the pheasant are hard to come by on public land. I have a friend that used to hunt a lot of quail around Ridgecrest and Landcaster. All was on BLM land out in the desert. Good luck to you and you son on his new passion.

I've taken him out one other time for quail but that was pretty thin bird wise. That was last year. This year, he did not go with me on the opener. Ironically I was hunting the canyons West of Inyokern/Ridgecrest(indian Wells, Short, and No Name). Quite a few birds, but lots of guys on opening day. We'll keep plugging away. Hopefully we get a wet year again this year like last. If so, the quail/chucker populations should be really good. Thanks for the well wishes.

Great job! No shame in taking advantage of what sounds like a great opportunity for new hunters! Hopefully you and your sons journey can continue and you can get after some wild birds one day!

That is a good program. Good on you for taking your son out!
I still remember my first bird hunt and I look forward to taking my son.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back