Caribou Gear Tarp

Colorado State Land NOT PUBLIC!

Why would he think any different?
If he isn't engaged, reading on hunting forums or listening to less than a handful of guys doing podcasts he wouldn't know any better.

Ya being from Texas, the concept of public land is new to me. I’ve been hunting Wyoming out here which does allow state land hunting and bc the state trust land page of Colorado says something to the effect of “state land is leased and used for a variety of purposes including hunting”. I didn’t realize only some of them are leased for that and the majority are for cattle grazing and such. I was listening to an old randy podcast when he mentioned it and that got me thinking. I called parks and wildlife to clarify and I’m glad I did! I was talking to a game warden and he said it’s a common mistake but they unfortunately have to write trespassing tickets all the time if the leasee presses charges.

On the onX, state land will be the same blue color and the state wildlife area is an even lighter blue and will indicate “state wildlife area”. If you don’t see them next to eahother, you may not even notice a difference in color.

Good luck on the hunt. I think some homemade baked goods are a great idea. Hopefully it may work into a long term hunting opportunity for you.

Tried to find a cow elk this past weekend and didn't even see any tracks Brachii, let you know if they move around in your cow area. We'll be looking over the Thanksgiving holiday. Not too much snow right now so that's one plus.

I used to hunt some land in South Dakota and in Montana and always sent them a nice fruit basket at Christmas.

I'm confused by the title though, what made you, the OP, think that just because it's state land that it's public?

To be a little more fair to the OP, I think Colorado does a pretty crappy job of publicizing the information that most state lands are in fact NOT publicly accessible, and lets people just assume they are. It's a shame. It's also a shame that CPW can't produce a budget to secure more of the leases...

To be a little more fair to the OP, I think Colorado does a pretty crappy job of publicizing the information that most state lands are in fact NOT publicly accessible, and lets people just assume they are. It's a shame. It's also a shame that CPW can't produce a budget to secure more of the leases...

Couldn't agree more, and its easy to see why folks would think its open since STL are open to public hunting in other states.

They (CPW) have the money, they'd just rather spend/or not spend it elsewhere. Listen to the Sept Commission meeting online where the discussion comes up by Comm Vigil about making a $10+ million profit last fiscal year, and now they're sitting on $17 million in cash and are worried they wont get their fee increase because of it. But the sheeple keep thinking the CPW (wildlife side) is broke and out of money just because they say they are. :rolleyes:

No joke! When applying in Wyoming they indicate that the unit you’re applying for is X% private land and public access is minimal. Some Colorado units will say that too but for some reason not the 112,113,114,115 tag i bought, of which 3 of the 4 units are 100% private. Granted I should have done more research, but it’s easy to see all the blue on the map and think there’s lots of public if they aren’t giving you the private land warning. I wonder if this is the sort of thing the RMEF concerns themselves with... I’d be much more likely to donate if I knew some of those dollars where buying out the state lands in CO and Utah for hunters (or anyone) to access

Last edited:
but it’s easy to see all the blue on the map and think there’s lots of public if they aren’t giving you the private land warning.

Yep, were you by any chance looking at a DeLorme Gazetteer book when you checked out the units? Blue squares everywhere! It's very deceiving...

I don't know of any western state where state land is "public" land.
If you mean that the public can use it, Az. I never found state trust land there that you couldn't access as long as you had a hunting license, and were legally hunting game.

Yep, were you by any chance looking at a DeLorme Gazetteer book when you checked out the units? Blue squares everywhere! It's very deceiving...

No, just the onX maps and others that I found online

I don't know of any western state where state land is "public" land.

I've been hunting all year in Wyoming, where state land is available for public use. As is Montana. I'm under the impression that most can be used for hunting except CO/UT. Could be wrong. I think AZ requires a permit.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back