301 Ewe

Slick

Went out for a total of 3 days. Saw ~40 sheep, but hunters on just about every ridge. Got to share the experience with a good friend who also shot a ewe in the breaks this year. Biologist thought she was 8 or 9.Ewe1.jpgEwe2.jpg

Will do Mike! Tenderloins are waiting to get thrown on the grill for dinner. I had applied for the Hilgard ewe tags the last two years, and then this year those tags were cut in half and the Spanish Peaks unit issued 20..Figured my best odds of sheep hunting were to apply for the Spanish Peaks tag. I only had 2pts so figured I'd just burn them on a ewe hunt. Would have preferred to have hunted them in September with a bow while they were still up high, but work didn't allow for that. Seemed like there were hunters crawling all over the place every time I went out; a few of them were elk hunting though. I guess critters with high site fidelity will cause high hunting pressure.

Unfortunately this wasn't the sheep hunt like the tales of Jack O'Connor. Went out at 9am and found a ewe that had been shot that day in an area I had a hunch that they would be in. We followed the rest of the herd's tracks a whopping 200 yards and my buddy spotted a ram and 3 ewes. No shot due to a ridge/trees and while repositioning they spooked. Found them again and I stupidly rushed a gimme shot and cleanly missed. We proceeded to follow them and I spotted a ewe and 2 mature rams near a cedar tree.This old gal was broadside at 170 and sent a 180 gr pill her way out of a 300win mag... The two rams and her ran over the hill and I had thought I had another clean miss and was cursing at myself for being an azzhat. Then we found blood.. and she was recovered 100yards from the shot. 300 was a little overkill as it broke 3 ribs on the exit wound. Surprised at how far she was able to travel after being hit like that. Was looking forward to using the stone glacier for a pack out because there isn't anything better than a brutal hike after a successful hunt, but it didn't make any logical sense to spend the day deboning her. Gutted her like any born and raised midwesterner would do, and drug her somewhere less than 1000 yards to the truck.

I thought I recognized you...

Congrats again. I think I’m committed to a ram with all the points I have now, but might try another state in a couple years.

Yeah thats a tough one when you have years of points..I haven't looked into the finer details of the draw odds of the breaks ewe hunts but I'm thinking you might have a chance of picking up one of those second choice.

Bio170 was quite some time ago..Appreciate the help then.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back