Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Almost Filled my Tag

WoodsQuest

I've been trying to teach myself how to hunt and seem to be making progress. This morning I decided to tough out high winds and snow to see what I could find. Well, when I was walking out I hear a rustling that sounds like running coming from my 3 o'clock. I know it has to be a deer so I unsling my rifle, rip the scope covers off and push the safety forward. As I complete that I see a doe run by about 40-50 yards in front of me from my right to left. I can still hear rustling so I kept my rifle trained on the opening, which was only about 20 feet wide. Sure enough, Bambi's Dad comes crashing through the opening. He was in full stride. I had my crosshairs on his vitals for 1/4 second and decided not to take the shot. Too risky, thought I'd gut shoot him. Kept trained on him but I never could get a clear shot (we were in the woods). I tried to rattle him back in for 30 mins but he was long gone and I heard gunshots come from the direction they both ran. Oh well, would have been my first deer. Just didn't think it was a safe and ethical shot. Would anyone have taken that shot?

I would not. I never take a shot unless I am confident in its placement, its backstop, and my ability. I would rather (and have done so many times) passed on shots others said I should have taken. I don't regret not taking any. The only shot I regret is one on a bear that was a reaction shot when I looked to my left and it was 25 yards and bearing down on me. Never found the bear.

You did just fine. All sorts of things can happen on a hurried shot like you described, probably 95% bad. GJ

Yeah. You made the right decision, at the time, under the circumstances. Don't fret, reward will come in multitude !

Thanks. My heart was pumping, it was great. Do any of you think I could have stopped him with a doe bleat call or a grunt? He seemed pretty fixated on chasing the doe. It was a cool experience to be right on top of the rut.

You did fine. Might sound a bit strange, but a running deer can sometimes be stopped by a loud noise. I've just yelled, "Hey!" before to get one to stop. Barking like a dog can work too.

That said, if they are on a hot doe I doubt much would get them to stop except her. Then again, the loud noise my get her to stop.

Back