Going all in

Hoolee99

Not sure if this was the best decision but done now, IMG_0063.jpg any tips advice would be welcomed. I am a new horse owner and have jumped in both feet going to to look at getting another today and one more after the new year

Contact you veterinarian before you NEED her or him to establish a relationship. Let the doc meet your horses and make sure you understand how to deal with the little things to prevent the big stuff.

start em out slow (you and them); day trips, summer trail rides and trips. introduce them to the smell of other animals and dead animals at your farm, not on the top of a mountain.

Vet and the farrier will be out this week. I am going slow for sure I just purchased another and he loaded in the trailer and his buddies didn't want him to leave and he blew up it was a real eye opening thing for myself and family at the absolute power and chaos that can happen. Needless to say the lady gave me my money back and was upset about the horse doing it

I am surprised Sytes hasn't chimed in, him being a horse wrangler. He had a go-round getting his ready for hunting this year..

Where are you located? I do a lot of work with horses and have a pack string I use, I'd be happy to help answer questions if you like.
Tanner

I never thought of a return policy but I do now. I live in Boise. I don’t know if it’s right or wrong but I am slowly trying to establish a decent relationship between me and the horse. He is a little standoffish but curious. Some people say just jump on and ride him I kind of feel like he’s a giant dog that I need to want to be with me. Like I said new horse owner and I am open to any suggestions. I have a friend that is a good Horsman and hopefully in the next couple weeks we are going to round pen him and start doing a lot of work with him. I really think he wants to please but is nervous.

I have been watching all kind of YouTube videos on horse training and holy crap I am in deep. I am excited for the journey, What’s everyone’s thought on another trained horse helping my new horse to come along. And does it help the spooky ness go away if another one is calm

A trained horse won’t do a darned thing to help another one come along. Be firm, fair, and consistent.

Life is too short to deal with a bad horse. The return policy has to do with him getting along with you and your other animals. We won't have a horse that is mean, kicks, or bites. They are all a little different, and there will always be a dominant/submissive dynamic happening, but we looked for awhile to find my horse. She is wonderful. Really likes people, and worships my wife's mare. They are so good. Expensive, lots of work, frustrating at times, but we will always own horses.

Agreed on bad horses. You can put a whole lot of training time into a bad horse and you still have....a bad horse. It's rare to find the horse that has everything, disposition, conformation, drive, endurance, etc. Always choose for disposition first. A pretty horse that's a pain in the ass will always be a pain in the ass. One of the best pack horses I ever had was only 14 hands tall and short backed with not much in the way of withers. Getting a pack saddle to fit him was a lot of work. At the end of the day, he was the first horse I would grab if I had to go into a hell hole to pack out an animal.

I like to brush every inch of their body and pick each foot clean every day for about a month before I plan on using them regularly for the year. Then every time i ride or lead them i do the same thing.

Do not tolerate them giving you attitude.

A bad horse is worse than a snake. And i hate snakes.

Mr duck slayer I was fully waiting for that comment and honestly I was really looking into goat and was real close to getting a hold of you. I wanted to see your operation and bend your ear and I would still Like to if at all possible. So today was a great day with my new buddy. I came home and decided that I really wanted to get on him. Saddling was easyish but the bit in the mouth was a different ballgame. Luckily my good friend was home and he and his wife came over to straighten me out a little and before long I was ridding him in the pen. Took him out of the pen and rode around the yard and he really wants to go. He handled all my novice mistakes well and responded to almost all things I asked. So I think he is going to come along well. F1DFB07D-1B5A-4018-964B-835ADC69FFB5.jpg

The best horse is someone else's. Use to own horses. They are worse than owning a boat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAWMIA
Back