North Idaho Whitetail Help

bbateman

My wife got her hunters education this spring and wanted to go deer hunting this fall but because of a death in the family and her work schedule we couldn't get her out during rifle season here in SW Idaho. I've never hunted in northern Idaho, but she now has next Monday and Tuesday off with no commitments. So I'm thinking about taking her up to the one of the units still open for rifle to she if we can get her a whitetail.

She doesn't care if it's a buck or doe. I have no idea what areas still open have decent whitetail populations and access, any suggestions on area's to hunt are appreciated. Thanks

Helsyeah, thanks for the help we were able to get her a little whitetail spike near Harrison

Monday was really rainy and the only deer we saw were in town so not a very productive day. Used my OnX Monday night to find some new areas just south of Harrison that looked like they might be productive. Tuesday morning we pulled up and they had been doing some small controlled burns within a few days that were still smoldering in a few spots. The wife told me she thought there would be no deer and the smoke would scare them all away and did not want to hunt there. I told her we were at least going to walk this road to the clearing I'd marked on my GPS and if we didn't see any deer we'd go to the back-up spot. We walked about 3/4 a mile up the road and spotted a single deer below us what we both thought was a doe. We got the gun on her and after one shot and a long search to find it it turns out we'd harvested what I'm calling the world smallest whitetail buck. Good thing the tag allows you to take either sex up there.

My wife was really happy with the buck and is already planning another trip up there next year to hunt again. Thanks for the help guys!
Chelsea buck.jpg

Back