Wyoming Whitetail

icebreaker12

This one is a little different. The wife and I planned to go fill some doe tags we had. We had about a 2 hour drive to the spot. But we got some wet snow after a warm day yesterday and the roads had turned pretty bad. When we left the pavement and went to dirt roads we got thrown around pretty bad and decided to turn around. I had a buck tag in my pack as well, and asked the wife if she wanted to make the long drive to a completely different area to go for a walk there instead. She agreed.

We finally parked at 7:30 (sunrise was about 7:00). We rushed to get ready and started making our hike in. A short ways in I cut a few very fresh tracks and we slowed and began to follow. A little ways further down the trail I realized one track was clearly a buck, and probably a good one. I got to a point where I was struggling to see where the tracks had gone and was staring hard at the ground. When I lifted my eyes I noticed a small 6pt whitetail staring off to my left. I started to raise my gun when I caught movement to my left (where the buck was staring). Out popped a doe and behind her emerged a nice buck. I quickly raised my rifle and got one in the boiler room while he was still broadside. I looked back at my wife and said “I just killed the biggest buck of my life!” I turned back and my heart sank. I thought he was down, but I saw him moving through the trees, albeit slowly. He eventually moved out of sight without any chance to shoot again.

I started tracking and my heart sank even further. Zero blood. I was sure he was hit, but I was worried he might make his way off public. I quickly made my way to a hill where I should have been able to see him, but I saw nothing. I also cut tracks I assumed were his and still found no blood. I quickly called a friend and my dad to ask their experience with finding no blood after 80-90 yards. Both told me to sit on it and come back after lunch. As I was on the phone with my dad I finally found one drop of blood that was bright red. I felt better, but still planned to wait on it. I had a small bowl the deer clearly wasn’t in that I wanted to follow the tracks through so I could mark that location and come back. Started following and only ten more yards my eyes caught what I was sure were tines in the brush. Sure enough as I began to focus I picked out the outline of a deer. There he was only 10 yards from where I frantically tried to figure out what to do next. Only problem was his head appeared to be up. I watched him for a few minutes and saw no movement, and decided to approach. He was dead! The shot hit lung and exited liver. Only thing I can think led to the poor blood trail was the bonded bullet not expanding due to the close shot?

Anyway.... Here he is.
As he lay
2FAA128D-8322-462F-9F8D-FAE32751DD58.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats! That reminds me of one I shot a few years ago. He was a very heavy buck I knew I had hit him but didn’t find much blood at all. Upon tracking him I looked ahead to see him much like yours laying there looking alive. I watched and couldn’t tell if was dead or not so I put a second one in him. Come to find out it wasn’t necessary and he had died propped up in the brush just like that. Never seen anything like it until yours photo.

Thanks all!

Congrats! That reminds me of one I shot a few years ago. He was a very heavy buck I knew I had hit him but didn’t find much blood at all. Upon tracking him I looked ahead to see him much like yours laying there looking alive. I watched and couldn’t tell if was dead or not so I put a second one in him. Come to find out it wasn’t necessary and he had died propped up in the brush just like that. Never seen anything like it until yours photo.

I was VERY close to doing to same. But I had been talking pretty loudly very nearby, and was able to watch his ears. After not seeing him move I felt confident he either wouldn’t get up when I approached, or I would get a shot off if he did.

image.jpg

This is my whitetail from this year. Shot it at about 130yds with my BHA .308 using copper Nosler ammo. Deer hunched at the shot and I was sure he was hit hard. Upon inspecting the site of the shot I found absolutely no blood and started to get worried. It was getting dark and I couldnt hunt the next day so I zig zagged on his direction of travel. Found him in this position 30yds from where he was shot. Complete pass through and only a little blood where the bullet exited. I have to believe it was a combination of close distance, all copper bullet and a lot of fat on the buck. Interested in hearing others thoughts. I def understand how you were feeling when you found no blood!

Are you guys thinking that because you were close the bullet did not expand.

ClearCreek

What kind of bullet? Why do you think it would not expand because of close range? Did you hit above the midline of the body?

I’ve shot a fair number of animals with mono bullets. They don’t make the grenade exit wound, and if you hit the critter high they don’t necessarily leave a great blood trail. The only bullet I’ve recovered that didn’t expand well was a reduced load. It mushroom led to slightly more than the original diameter.

Congrats on a dandy buck! In regards to the bullets performance, they'll open more at close range than far. Sometimes funny stuff just happens, especially with samples of 1.

Congrats ! Ive only seen 1 WY whitetail anywhere near that size. Most are the size of antelope.

Back