Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Ashland Montana

XX1

Thinking about hunting Ashland Montana next year for a late season muledeer Hunt. Looking for any suggestions or thoughts about this area. Thanks

Search this site for info on the Custer or Ashland. Very popular place.
Hunting just depends on what you want. If your goal is to see plenty of deer and shoot a 2 1/2 and if you are lucky a 3 1/2 year old three or four point then the Custer is the place for you. If you are looking for a 4 year or older deer scoring better then 175 you are likely looking in the wrong place. Not saying it can't happen, deer like that are taken every year but they are few and far between.
If you don't mind hunting close to roads in terrain that is relatively forgiving the Custer will do just fine. Very little of the Custer is more than a mile from the closest road and those place attract hunters that are willing to work. If you want to hunt where few other hunter ever get you will have a hard time finding those places on the Custer.

Hey Antler I’m also researching a first time hunt in eastern Montana I’m curious where the other places may be with less hunters but still hold mulies? Me personally I’d rather hunt less pressure with a few less deer.

I would spend some time looking at the Block Management Program for that region. A large chunk near there holds some pretty decent deer. The wildlife techs for that area are a huge help, don’t be afraid to call them.

Martin, If you want to hunt in places that have low deer density I would start by looking for places that have little water. Most BLM will has little water. If there was good water someone would have filed a homestead claim 100 years ago. Just remember that bucks often leave during the rut in the search for does. This is especially true if there is agricultural fields within a few miles.
The best way to avoid other hunters is to hunt mid week the first to weeks of the season.

There are lots, and lots of goofballs just driving roads. If you look around, study maps, and do some e-scouting you can find some places where you can walk in a ways and get away from them. But, yeah, pretty much anytihng dumb enough to cross a road this time of year will be a bullet lobbed its way. I've been out there twice now. It's a fun place to hunt if you do some homework.

Road hunting during the rut can be effective on the Custer. If bucks are on the move it will not be long until they cross a road.

Back