Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Blm land montana

Dl1969

Was on a section of blm land with a county road passing thru it,parked on a two track right off the road.was approached by a ranch hand telling me first it was private then back tracked after a produced my gps unit.but then told me the land was leased by his boss and I couldn't park off that road.was i being given a load of bs?This was in Montana.

If it was BLM land then the ranch hand was full of crap. When a rancher leases BLM land for grazing it doesn't preclude the land from being used by the public. As long as the FWP doesn't mention that the land is not to be used for hunting then it's open for public use. Where was this section? There are public sources to see if the land is privately owned or public, Montana has a public web site that will show who the owner is for any land parcel in the state. Go to http://svc.mt.gov/msl/mtcadastral/ and zoom in on the parcel and click on it, you will be provided with the owner's information. If it's private land it will give the name of the owner, if it's BLM or Forest Service it will say so.

This kind of baloney happens a lot. We had an old rancher that leased a section of state land for grazing and he tried to run us off of it several times saying we were on his land. We told him we knew it was leased land and we had the right to hunt on it. One day my buddy was on the south end of the section and the dude came up and pulled the same garbage. My buddy told him the same as before and the guy told him John was in his "buffer zone", LOL! The shit finally hit the fan when we were out there with a couple friends and the old guy and his son drove their PU all over the section when no cows were even on it and effectively ruined our evening hunt. That was enough of his BS for me and I wrote a letter to the State of WY Land Board about the harassment we were getting. They wrote him a letter with a CC to me that if they received any more complaints from the public about him he would be up for permanent revocation of his grazing permit---end of problem! When you know you are right you need to hold your ground and if necessary contact the proper authorities to eliminate being harassed.

Last edited:
If it was BLM land then the ranch hand was full of crap. When a rancher leases BLM land for grazing it doesn't preclude the land from being used by the public. As long as the FWP doesn't mention that the land is not to be used for hunting then it's open for public use. Where was this section? There are public sources to see if the land is privately owned or public, Montana has a public web site that will show who the owner is for any land parcel in the state. Go to http://svc.mt.gov/msl/mtcadastral/ and zoom in on the parcel and click on it, you will be provided with the owner's information. If it's private land it will give the name of the owner, if it's BLM or Forest Service it will say so.
The blm land was north of Moore rd off of crow creek rd,east side of crow creek the two guys dropped a name of O'Conner ranch,me and my wife were fortunately done with our morning.He definitely backed off the private issue after i produced my garmin.i read that u could park off any established two track on blm but not state land

Of similar note, there are a lot of the BMA's that have BLM land incorporated in them. Most seem to be the type 2 where you have to get written permission to hunt and they limit the number of hunters. It didn't seem right to me that a private landowner could control public ground. I ran into a game warden and asked him about it. He said BLM is fair game as long as you can legally access it. Apparently there is some state land that is controlled through the BMA, which I don't agree with, but they can't stop you from hunting the federal land.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back