Custer Gallatin N.F

Martinhunter

Hi Everyone, I’m planning on making a first trip over to southeast Montana next November for the first time. I’m just starting to research specific areas to focus on and I have a quick question. I see the Custer Gallatin N.F on the map in two separate areas. One area west of Broadus and another area south of Bozeman. Are these both the Custer? Anyone have experience in the Custer south of Bozeman how does it compare to the Custer west of Broadus? I’m looking to hunt somewhere that’s a little more wooded and thicker. How do the deer numbers compare from one to the other? Thanks for any info you can give.

Gallatin south of Bozeman is thicker, more timbered and rugged. It is grizzly and elk central for Montana. Low deer densities. Custer is scattered timber, sagebrush, breaks country. No grizzlies, few elk, deer densities are higher.

If your planning a mule deer hunt,look more up in the Missouri River Breaks area.There's some good block management areas west and north of Mile City.I found a few muleys around Broadus as well,and less hunters

I was near Broadus prior to the rut. Plenty of deer and we were the only ones on foot in the drainages. Saw a handful of trucks but none of them stopped. Saw 14 deer in 6 hours before I harvested mine. I talked to the Wildlife tech and he said the opener was packed and then everyone petered out. Talking with others if you hunt mid week and actually walk somewhere you will be fine.

U guess it's got alot better near Broadus.I'm never saw anyone out of trucks when i hunted there during the rut.U went 6 years ago and it was right after a winter die off.U saw about the same amount of deer as you did over 2 days of hunting the block management around there.Passed on a few smaller bucks,and then moved up by Forsyth which held a better deer population at that time I felt confident with the lack of hunters around Broadus that I would be able to go back and find the buck i passed on if necessary.But was able to find a few nicer bucks where i went to

Thanks for the info guys, when your talking Broadus you guys referring to Custer, block management, BLM or all of the above? Sorry never been there so it’s all new to me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back