Caribou Gear Tarp

Scope for T/C Compass .270

huntin' lunatic

Academy had these for $274.99 with a $75 rebate from Thompson Center Arms. I felt of one and really liked it so I got one. It came with scope mounts. After some deliberating, I went with the Nikon Prostaff 5, 3.5-14x40 SF Mattte BDC. What rings would be best for this setup?

My experience with the T/C Compass...

I should start by saying I'm a bit of a rifle snob. Don't get me wrong I like all rifles, I just happen to like/buy/collect nicer rifles, and end up putting Leupold scopes on all of them (with the exception of a couple that wear Zeiss scopes). Back to the Compass. My wife won one in a fundraiser raffle last year. Luckily, she had no desire for it, so I told her I would go to the gun shop to pick something out. My understanding was that I could pick something else out, or at least apply the value of the Compass for store credit. Well, the way this particular raffle worked was a little different. The gun shop pre-purchased all of the raffle guns, so I couldn't even pick out the caliber! The owner of the shop said he would give me something to the tune of $150 cash if I really didn't want the Compass. I am forgetting the exact amount of the offer, but I remember it being really low. At that point I just took the T/C Compass in .308, having no idea what I would do with it.

So now I have the Compass and need to put a scope on it. I was definitely not going to put a VX-3i or higher scope on it, so I picked up a Vortex Diamondback 4-12X40mm that was on sale for $149 at my local gun shop. Picked up some cheaper rings as well as Butler Creek caps. At this point my total investment is less than $200. I've never owned a T/C or a Vortex...

I take it to the range with some Federal 168 gr Sierra Match King boat-tail hollow points. I was blown away with how accurate this rifle is!!!! I did not bother to measure actual groups, but definitely sub MOA, and probably 1/2 MOA. All for less that 200 bucks (albeit the rifle was free, minus the $20 raffle ticket, that is)!!! Compass felt great, shot great, and the Vortex scope wasn't too bad either. I figured I would take it to deer camp that year and ended up shooting a buck and a doe with it.

Well, fast forward to this year... I'm leaving to go to camp on Saturday and I will be taking the Compass again. The only thing different this year will be the ammo. I picked up some Federal 165 gr Trophy Bonded to use. With the change to ammo, I knocked the dust off of the Compass and took it to the range yesterday. I only need to send 6 downrange to have it dialed in (see pic). First three shots were 2" left. I adjusted windage as the elevation was perfect at 100 yards. The Diamondback adjustments were kind of mushy with no audible click, but I ended up getting lucky as my next three shots were all i needed to be sighted in at 100 yards. Not too shabby for an opening price point rifle and scope!!!

I guess what I am trying to say is the Compass kicks butt. At least mine does, anyway! I like it so much that I am picking up another one in .204 Ruger...

Amstaff

Compass.jpg

Thanks for the review I was doing some comparison shopping for the TC and a few other sub $400 rifles the last few days.

Until today I wasn't aware TC made anything other than a single shot! Pretty impressive group for any rifle!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back