Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Need some axvice

Jimmows

I would really appreciate some help. I am trying to plan first Antelope hunt in Wyoming. I have spoke to a couple Fish and game biologists and they told me that since I don't have any preference points, my best unit options are 26, 9, or 11. The challenge is that all those units are hard to access due to the public lands are surrounded by Private property.

I live in Missouri and don't know anyone in Wyoming, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to get landowner information to access BLM land through their property. If I draw a unit I don't want spend my trip trying to find access.

Can anyone advise me on how to get owner info. or does some body know of any easy public land access in the units mentioned? Any other suggestions would be most welcomed.

Thank you in advance for your help,
Jimmows

Unit 9 has a large piece of state land surrounded by walk in, there should be enough antelope in there for a good hunt I would guess. I can't imagine there isn't if fish and game pointed you to those units.

I prefer more southern units, research your odds in those with the special draw and check land access. feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. Good Luck!

don't be discouraged . I hunted in the area last year. granted the access is not as easy as in other parts of the state there is plenty of opportunity in 9 and 11 ( I didn't hunt in 26)

The unit I hunted this past season was a little tough to navigate on to public ground, and antelope we're in patches in small groups. There were not many bucks to be seen either.
The unit next to mine had a large peice of private that seem to be full of antelope. Saw lots of good bucks there also.
It was just across the powder river from where I hunted and lopes seem to know the boundary lines very well.
But, hunting near a sanctuary type spot can help keep good numbers of animals to hunt. The first couple days of the season for rifle hunting would be best chance at surprising a few antelope. The last few days of season could have a few wander onto public land again also.
But, particulars like that make a lot tougher hunting, but also make the units alot easier to draw.
My friends and I filled our tags for does pretty easily, but bucks would have been tough to find. We only had doe tags so we could give the area a good look before investing in a buck tag.
I had two bucks in range in my unit that weren't to big. After that I will not likely be trying to hunt there again for antelope bucks, but a buck hunt there is doable for a guy that isn't looking for a trophy and is willing to work a little for em.
I'm sending a PM if you're interested.

jimmows: Wish I could help, but I have no knowledge to contribute.

What I wanted to do with this post however was to congratulate you on the creation of a fantastic new word. "Axing" for advice = axvice!! ;)

It was a typeo but once I saw it, I liked it.

Last edited:
Do your research and be willing to walk a few miles a day and you will be fine. I was on two of those units last month. Feel free to shoot me a PM and I can tell you everything I know (it’s a short read, lol)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back