Yeti GOBOX Collection

Pa rifle bear opener tomorrow

mixedbag

I don't know if any of you guys ever participated in an organized drive before.Basically, that's how we hunt bears here.Or at least the most successful way to harvest bears here.We can't use baits/lures,and no dogs.Our season is bear only for 4 days.Then we have combined deer/bear rifle for another 4 days.There's is a week long archery bear season that runs during the rut for deer.In that week,I actually stalked to within 35 yards of a very big bear,estimated over 400lbs.He caught me drawing my bow and took off,heartbreak there
Well,every year I have a group of buddies that come up to drive bear all day for Saturdays opener.There will be 25 of us pushing/crawling thru the local swamps.Nothing better then hearing the guns sounding off during a drive.It may sound unfair with 25 guys,but is crazy thick where they sleep,and most times they run circles around us.But,sometimes we score.If any of you guys ever want to try your welcome to come any year.I live in one of the highest bear densities in the state.And, we kill some giants around here.Every year a handful of 600+ bear,a few 700+ and usually at least one 800lber
Hope to post pics tomorrow or have a good story or two

Good luck, I have some friends in Clearfield that will be out. Hope you get one of the big ones.

Good luck!! Sounds like a interesting way to hunt bears. All our bears is over bait here

Our group put of 2 bears on our 2nd drive of the day.First one made it out alive,but the second one was shot by one of our standers.It then run past a guy in a tree stand that shot it again.Our guy let him have it.It was a beauty,it field dressed at the bear check station at 355lbs,estimated live weight is 418lbs.Our group saw 3 more bears during the rest of the day but they got lucky and survived.It was an incredible day hunting bear with 5 opportunities.My group has taken 4 bears in the last 5 seasons
I have a pic of the bear but don't know how to post on hrre

Hey Mixed I stopped at the beltzville check station at the end of the day and they only checked 13 in so It was a slow opener with the rain. Other than one 350 pounder I assume yours the rest were small.

I was too tired to run down to check station.That was the bear that came from our groups drive.Another 200lber came out on that drive as well.We really got into some bears but it's tough driving.I can barely move today after scaling sheer cliffs,crossing creeks and crawling thru the thickest stuff on earth.But when the guns went off on 2 of our drives the pain disappeared.Was a great time with good friends and excellent sportsmen.Come join us one year

Maybe I will have to do that. I have shot 2 myself so far 1 in Hickory RUn and the other on the Blue Mt. Now that I have 1 on the wall I don't have the drive to do it but maybe with a gang it would be different. I wouldn't mind helping someone who never shot 1 yet.

We drove from daylight to dark with our group.
Lots of sign but never saw any.

I've taken a couple bears myself so u do all the driving to help my buddies out.U think you'd enjoy it.We usually have a half dozen new guys each year.I'll have hunting friends all over the state now from my bear hunting group

Harvested my first bear this year inadvertently (picked up the tag week before my elk hunt and he just happened to come out in the spot I was looking for elk ) Have to admit it was a rush harvesting something that could actually come and get me in the right circumstances. After the skinning I am not sure I will hunt bear again. Granted I had to skin in the dark and about 10F temps - but it was a real PITA trying to get boning and skinning done.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back