Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Small utility winches?

hank4elk

I am having my lumber rack for my Tacoma refitted to fit my F-150 with a more substantial headache brace & screen to protect back window. I will also be adding a loading winch to the screen/brace under top bar for loading wood or an elk.
I see all the outfitter guys around here have headache racks with these winches on top.
I am looking at getting a Warn ProVantage 2500 or a Warn Vantage 3000.
I have heard of less than planetary gear models breaking. Cheeper models not making it a year is common it seems.
Also was wondering if any one has had issues with the remote switches failing in bad weather.
Any input from the HT gallery?

I haven't put one on my truck yet so I can't be a lot of help but my recommendation would be to build a receiver on the rack and mount the winch on a receiver plate. Put a quick disconnect on the wiring, then you can keep the winch out of the weather except when you need it. This is my plan if I build one.

Thinking of getting a WARN rechargeable portable Hank...have a bud in the lawn business that swears by their multiple applications.

I have a 4500# Superwinch on my Rhino. Never had a problem with it for over 5 years. I'm adding another to my trailer to ease loading. I'll fabricate a steel box for it with a lock and another for a battery.

I got the Warn 2500 pro-vantage,on sale.
Trying to decide on whether to mount for receivers, but the only one I have is on the rear bumper tow kit of the Ford.
Never did get them installed on the Tacoma or the front of new Ford. They would hang too low, without lifting whole truck, after installing new bumpers.
Bumpers & mounts suck on modern trucks IMHO.
Had Smittybilts on the old Toy. & F-250 was ex-military with tank bumpers...lol

I still might get one of the portables Ken. Been thinking of them again for versatility. I used one working for County & they are way better built now.

Been meaning to pick up one Hank...with a cheap snatch block and utility strap it'll work either end of my 2500...and the rear of the ATV.

I have a KFI 4500 and works great and not to much$. I will offer this advice: since your having the rack modified anyways have them weld a 2" hitchmount to spot you want winch. Its nice to store the winch out of weather and if you need different angles you can throw it into truck hitch spot, in long run you will be happy. The biggest PIA is running 2 sets of wires/connector. Super handy!

I have a KFI 4500 and works great and not to much$. I will offer this advice: since your having the rack modified anyways have them weld a 2" hitchmount to spot you want winch. Its nice to store the winch out of weather and if you need different angles you can throw it into truck hitch spot, in long run you will be happy. The biggest PIA is running 2 sets of wires/connector. Super handy!

I hear ya.I'm always rewiring my utility trailer & attaching conduit...lol. I decided to make it removable this morning,fairly EZ to extend wiring back later. Don't need something else rattling apart in NM.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back