Colorado/Utah deer advice

forkhunter

My father is turning 70 in Feb and I am looking at options for taking him on a hunt somewhere we haven't been before. We have been building points for years in a couple states with no real plan on where we were ultimately going to hunt. We have 13 points in CO and 15 points in Utah. I have looked over many of the units in Utah though I haven't narrowed it down to which we will apply for. In CO, my dad always thought we would hunt the NW corner, but I just don't have good info so far.

Anyway, if anyone can give me some general thoughts or advice on where they would start with our points levels, that would be great. Or maybe just a comparison of the 2 states for our point levels? My expectation is that we could probably get a higher quality hunt in CO, but it is sort of daunting due to the multiple seasons and many possibilities for units there.

I appreciate any useful feedback. I will certainly reciprocate if I can. Thanks in advance. Shane

Id hit the eastern plains of Co. Some really nice bucks in some areas if you do your homework, and the terrain is easy on the knees

Thanks for the reply. My father is very fit, so I am not scared of the more physical stuff. Probably not backpacking any more, but country where we can get out Nd hike is desirable. Any other general advice? If we go CO should we be targeting a 4th season? All of the options have been what has been a little intimidating and has kept me from getting anywhere close to actually applying.

I hunted in the north western part of Colorado 3rd season this year. By mid week they were already rutting pretty hard. About the only way you wouldn't have filled a tag is if you stayed in bed the whole time. Seen some really nice ones and some average ones.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back