Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Thinking of a new business venture

p_ham

I'm normally not the kind of guy to worry about finances, but we had a son this year, and it's straining the ole pocketbook.
I would like to make some extra cash, and want some opinions.

I am looking to make and sell these sculptures. They are hand hammered 20ga steel. Around 20" long. The one sided fish take about 8hrs. I have 25hrs in the side, but it is the first one and figuring out the curve took some doing. They are airbrushed with candy colors and clear coated. I dont know if it would be worth getting an LLC right off the bat, or doing a sole proprietor.

Also, looking for opinions on price, I obviously don't want to give them away, there is a fair amount of work involved. But I want to keep things fair on both ends.

So do you think there would be enough of a market for such an item that i could do well? Thank you for your input.

This is a 1 sided rainbow/redband, hangs on the wall.
0624171141~2.jpg
This will be a lamp, fish is 2 sided with a curve. Will be mounted on a steel base. Making a sister lamp to go with it, brown trout.
0425171853.jpg
0425171853b.jpg
This is a brown trout version of the wall hanger. The photo is not flattering to the paint job, i couldn't get the exposure right.
DSCN0009.jpg

Last edited:
Those are beautiful!

I’ve dabbled in making and selling art on the side, and for me, the time and expense of making the art always seemed to add up to way more than what folks would be willing to pay. My thing was pretty involved and time consuming—restoring and painting old furniture. I wasn’t fast or prolific enough for it to make sense, so it just wasn’t worth it to me. I too have a youngun now, and another on the way, so there’s even less time for making stuff. If I do, it usually goes to someone I love as a gift.

I guess you just need to ask yourself if the time & expense vs profit ratio is worth it to you. I’m sure in the right place—like a fly shop in a swanky mountain town—you’d at least be able to get a few hundred bucks for those. They really are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Here are a couple pieces I made to give to loved ones:

Dresser for my wife:

4F641503-5395-475D-B362-83AED47D61D3.jpg

Coffee table for my brother. (We both have somewhat twisted senses of humor.)

BFD1B199-5B1E-4EEA-BB8C-7A4235BFFF9B.jpg

Whatever you do, you’ve got serious talent. Have fun and good luck!

Last edited:
Beautiful work. Finding your market From Fallon will be a challenge. I'd see if there were any art galleries in Reno and Tahoe that had an interest. I don't know how Trout Unlimited operates but if they hold banquets like RMEF a donation of your art to their bigger functions might be worthwhile. I'd also get the exhibitor list for the Portland Sports Show and see if there was an exhibitor that you could work something out with to display your work. When I was doing those shows I would have gladly put one up and passed out your info. They're eye catchers.

All those look great. I would expect 5-700 for the lamp and maybe 400 ish for the wall hangers. Least from the costs of similar items in the regular retail stores. If you get an in from the industry, (if we only knew someone with a couple contacts) :) . I would also ask around your neck of the woods, (Banks, Hotels, etc) to see if you can display a few with business cards attached. Have on it for sale, call for price.

Those are beautiful. For the hours that go into them, you need to make enough money to justify it. I think $400 for the one sided version is in the right ballpark. Come up with a price per hour you're willing to make and sell them for and start there. I agree with LGO on the locations. Market towards the places with a high volume of tourism.

Again, they are outstanding.

I would contact Sweetwater Brewery in Atlanta. They're a pretty big outfit over here. Check out their 420 product. Your design looks hand in glove with theirs. You never know; they might want to commission some for promotional purposes.

I'd also look at some interior design stores. I know of one here in Bozeman that this would probably sell in. The one I'm thinking of caters to the jet set crowd of the Yellowstone Club. And the $400 sticker price wouldn't be unreasonable in a place like that.

They are pretty damn sweet looking!

Beautiful work.I would go with the trout unlimited route another person mentioned and give them one to auction to get you exposure.Any big fly fishing areas are places I'd look to have my work for sale,art galleries and fly shops
Price????I have no idea really,but would guess most people don't want to spend more then $400 for a lamp.I'm guessing you would want more so I would concentrate on high income areas.There's a reason they are called "STARVING" artists,but good luck.Your work is beautiful and you should take alot of pride in that

Thank you all for your input and kind words.

I like the idea of donating some items to banquets, i will have to look into that. As far as fly shops, there are a couple around reno and tahoe that see some money go through. There are also a few art galleries in Tahoe, i need to see if there is an exemption for the cali side to be able to sell there without the commie..i mean cali permit.

I am thinking about doing $300 on the one side fish and $600 for the lamp style..I am also thinking about making a coffee table with a glass center. Kind of like looking into a stream. That would probably either stay here or go to a family member honestly.

I will look into the places mentioned above, hopefully i can find some interest.

Thanks again.

I agree with others about getting your art in circulation via banquets/donations. Some art needs to be seen first hand to have a great appreciation ($) for it and based on the pictures I can only imagine how amazing it looks first hand.

Back