Caribou Gear

Write up for 2014 buck

406LIFE

I like to put a picture and a small write up next to my mounts. It helps me remember and i think honors the hunt and the animal more than just inches on the wall. Here's the write up for this buck I harvested in 2014:

Pronghorn
Antilocapra Americana
Choteau, Montana
October 12, 2014
62”
.270 Winchester
This old buck was my first one of the species and a personal trophy, despite its smaller size. At the time I was planning on leaving Montana and joining the Chaplain Corps of the US Navy, taking me away from my home state for the next 20 years. I wanted a unique and quintessential animal to remember my time while I was away. Having always been fascinated with antelope and never have hunted them previously, I settled on pursuing one. I was naïve to the drawing rates, but still researched areas with good draw rates, high public lands, and decent harvest opportunity. I settled on HD 444, saddled between the Bob Marshall Wilderness and the plains around Choteau. I had never been to the area and made a few trips to scout and familiarize myself, staying on the Sun River Game Reserve near a small pond. Archery season started in August and I found several very nice bucks. However, I was never able to complete a stalk that put me within 60 yards, my effective range. Opening of rifle season was October 11, and my father was with me. At first light I got on a buck with 5 does, crawling within 220 yards. As the morning increased my vision, I saw that he was a smaller buck. I debated in my mind for about 20 minutes of taking what would have been a very good shot on an animal unaware of my presence. I decided to go look for another, larger buck. We spent the entire day glassing the unit, but were unable to find even one antelope. In my mind the regret started and I wondered if I had missed my chance. We went back that evening and found the buck. I attempted to stalk within range, but the open ground in hay fields did not give me much cover. We allowed him to bed down and would return in the morning. Again, before first light we could see that he was bedded in the same area as before. I low crawled, cradling my rifle to within 242 yards before one of the does stood up. I lay down, and after several minutes she did as well. I sat up and placed my shooting sticks in front of me. I was able to see through the scope the buck and he had not grown since the day before. Still, in my mind the question of if this is the buck I wanted to harvest was not answered fully. It would be almost 20 more minutes before legal shooting light and it took every second before I knew I was ready. As I sighted the buck in the scope I was overcome with shakes and tremors like never before. My only significant case of buck fever was happening due to a small goat in Central Montana that most other hunters would certainly pass up. The buck waited a few more minutes to stand up and presenting me with a broadside shot. With the reticle dancing around his vitals, I breathed halfway and squeezed. He lurched, ran to the left 40 yards and fell down. The does around him were uncertain about his actions and mingled around him until I stood up to make sure he was down. We were able to drive right up to the buck, field dress and load him. A few days later I would lay the tenderloins on the grill, with just pepper and watch as they fell apart cooking. My first taste of antelope ensured it would not be the last. Now my favorite game to eat, it is also one of my favorite to pursue.

20141012_081019.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back