How's this for an adrenaline rush?

windymtnman

Our ranch in So. Central Colorado is surrounded on 3 sides by Rio Grande National Forest. A few days ago, my wife and I took a walk, which we often do out our back gate. On this day, we decided to take our Mule and Burro along on lead ropes. While walking along the base of a rock cliff a short distance from the ranch, I was winding back & forth amongst the huge boulders that have calved off the cliff over the last millennium.
In walking next to a couple of huge rocks leaning against each other, I looked into the fissure created between them. I saw a mound of fresh grass, so bent over to look into the darkened area. I found myself looking at a Bear, looking back at me. Of course I straightened up, and found the Mule was looking over my shoulder. I was expecting him to explode, but he acted like he didn't see or smell anything.
I waited 3 days and went back up there with a trail camera. I slowly walked back up to the den, taking pictures. I got up to the den, and thought I must have the loudest camera shutter in the world! The Bear was still there, and again was looking back at me. I backed away, set up the trail camera and got out of there.
The first pic is the den entrance. How would you like to be holding a Mule about the time a Bear came out of there? Whew! Life is more interesting when you're only in the middle of the food chain!

Attachments

• DSCN0454.jpg
    DSCN0454.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 627
  • DSCN0457.jpg
    DSCN0457.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 627
Wow! I'm sure that was a major adrenaline rush! Do you have any of the trail cam pics yet?

The mule I was introduced to this year would have expressed his anxiety. Mr. Goodride would have definitely given a shart.

Way cool pic. My merino boxer's scent control would have been tested.

ahaha that's awesome!! Probably be like the time I was walking me lab on a leash when I was a toddler and my sisters threw the ball haahah hold on! but 100x worse with a mule

That is awesome! As others mentioned, it sounds like it ended in the best way possible - without you sh*tting yourself or getting hurt.

I don't plan on checking the trail camera for several days, perhaps over a week? I don't want to visit up there too often and risk running into him if he's out and about. it's not that I especially fear him, I don't want to harass him, just enjoy having a neighbor. No plans to look in on him again till perhaps the dead of Winter when I would expect he'd be sound asleep. For all I know, "he" might give birth to some Cubs this Winter? Time will tell.

That's one of the coolest things I think I've seen. I'll bet it was an adrenaline rush! Can't wait to see your trail cam pics.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back