Hey! New to Hunt Talk....

RookieHunter

New to the forum...found it while researching elk hunting, and watching Randy's awesome YouTube Videos. New to Montana and this was my first season ever Elk Hunting. I took the same approach as I did when chasing Steelhead...Learn a river well that you know holds fish and fish it hard. In this case, I selected an area and after scouting the four main drainages in the area, I narrowed it down to one and scouted digitally and physically for weeks prior to hunting season. Randy's awesome videos really helped me refine my scouting techniques, especially in deciding the unit and where in the unit to hunt. Been out three solid days and every day I learned more and more about the area, the Elk there and how to hunt it...

Looking forward to learning all I can from this great forum.

James Waggoner

Thanks for the warm welcome!

To finish my first year elk experience....
View attachment 76800View attachment 76796View attachment 76797

Not sure why I can't get the pictures flipped but oh well...

Anyway, third day out had fresh snow and I was feeling really good as I headed up the Hwy.
After about a mile hike in, I found my first set of tracks...and then about a half mile later, I found confirmation I was on the trail of a Bull, as he left some fine imprints in the snow of his browtines when he stopped to graze. After another mile elk sign went from frozen to an almost steaming pile. After the fresh pile I chambered a round and crept slowly down into a small mountain meadow draw that bottomed out and steeply climbed a treed slope. As I approached the drainage bottom I saw something through the dense fog...it was a Bull! He was about 100yds away on the opposite side of the drainage. AS he stood in the trees he just watched me. I drew my rifle and Shot him right in the Brisket...Bull down!

The winter storm that soon started and the next three days was the true test...that's another story in itself.

The end result...Elk all neatly packaged and in the freezer!

James

Attachments

• Elk flip.jpg
    Elk flip.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 17
  • elk close up flip.jpg
    elk close up flip.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20171102_121503.jpg
    20171102_121503.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 17
Thanks for the warm reception. Been really interesting so far reading the various threads and post. I really appreciate how hands on Randy is with this site. I just read the thread in the Rules and Announcements Section titled "Time for Some to Go Elsewhere". Not sure what that was addressing but I can imagine, as I've been a member of a few Flyfishing sites, where the moderators failed to keep it civil and productive and the internet tough guys ruined it for everyone.

Anyway, Great Job to those who manage the site and to all its members that strive to keep it inviting and place to exchange knowledge and experiences.

James Waggoner

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back