Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Decoys

Will need more than 3D, but lighter and cheaper. They do work. I find big spread for geese is better.

We run a spread of 4 dozen real geese brand silos and any where from 1 to 2 dozen full bodies. Absolutely work especially during with snow and during snow storms. Packing in the field one guy can take all 4 dozen with ease.

I could be considered a hardcore goose hunter by some. I travel to several states and western Canada each year hunting Canada Geese. For the past 15 years, I use 100 homemade silos. I repaint them every year. They stack in a rack on the back of my ATV. My blind and other gear goes into a huge plastic sled that I tow (two sleds if I have company). I am completely mobile and can access the muddiest fields without difficulty. Many mornings I have geese walking around in my silos !! They work !!

F250...post a photo of your homemade dekes. Awesome job on finding a recipe for success with 'em.

I have a few dozen of the Real Geese brand silos and absolutely love them. Esp in the snow b/c I don't have to keep wiping them off. In addtion to the silos, I will also run either full bodies or shells, depending on the weather, snow, etc...

I could be considered a hardcore goose hunter by some. I travel to several states and western Canada each year hunting Canada Geese. For the past 15 years, I use 100 homemade silos. I repaint them every year. They stack in a rack on the back of my ATV. My blind and other gear goes into a huge plastic sled that I tow (two sleds if I have company). I am completely mobile and can access the muddiest fields without difficulty. Many mornings I have geese walking around in my silos !! They work !!

What did you make your silhouettes out of?

I have both full body and silhouette goose decoys. I'm planning to buy more silhouettes. Storage and transport is so much easier, and they work.

I cut them out of a 4' X 8' sheet of luan plywood with a jig saw. I used 1" X 1/4" steel stakes I cut 18" in length and sharpen with a cut-off saw. The stakes are attached with 3 rivets. I have a hunting buddy who also made some and used glue instead of rivets. Some of his stakes have fallen off. Just got back last night from hunting in a neighboring state. I'll try to figure out the photo posting when I get a chance.

I own 5 dozen. Plan to buy 5-10 dozen more. I bought divebomb. Significantly cheaper than competitors.

Last edited:
We usually hunt with full bodies during the early part of the season, mixed with some shells as the season progresses, but once the snow starts to fall and the weather turns sour we pull out the silos, we hunt mostly with the old Outlaw brand and we love them, but in the early season when you're trying to compete with 5 other spreads in a relatively narrow flyway as they come off the roost, we try and get as real as possible, but once everyone else goes home or to the deer stand, we grab the silos and pound the birds

So much about about the decoys you use has to do with the particular geese and area you are hunting. If you are hunting unpressured honkers on the X, you should be able to kill limits all season long with 5 dozen flats. In other regions of the country, you may never shoot a goose the entire season with the same set up. If I were going to build a spread for honker hunting in typical cattle country, out of all flats, I'd plan to own 20 dozen. That will give you range to do what you need to do based on the birds and competition.

That said, if access is easy and you don't compete with others or see many other set ups, the ease of 10-20 quality full bodies and a dialed hide is hard to beat.

IMO they're great for "filler" along with your full bodies. Certainly the space/weight savings is hard to argue with. I believe in diversity so I always use a combo of different decoys, I've never hunted with solely silos.

Just starting to get into Canadian hunting and have the same questions. Seems like more love for the silos then I thought.

Just starting to get into Canadian hunting and have the same questions. Seems like more love for the silos then I thought.

Canadian huntin huh? they the ones that go "Honk Eh?"

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Watch out though, hunting those big B 52s can become awfully addicting! I got into it a few years ago back in NY and absolutely love it

Since you're new to the game here is fair warning, they are Canada Geese. If you want to lose credibility in a goose hunting conversation, call them "Canadians". Hence walking birds comment!! :cool:

Since you're new to the game here is fair warning, they are Canada Geese. If you want to lose credibility in a goose hunting conversation, call them "Canadians". Hence walking birds comment!! :cool:

Haha I thought the term was Honkers

They have a purpose. Great for filling in..We filled in 20 dozen full bodies with 20 dozen silos today. Birds were landing 200 yards away on a field that we could not get permission. So we put out a huge spread and pulled em off. 5 man limits in 1 hour. First time I have used them for honks.. I doubt them no more.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back