Caribou Gear

Deer hunting with Randy....

So, we all met up and I ran and changed into my Sitka that Randy brought me. We all met up for lunch and to set a game plan for the afternoon hunt. It was bitter cold with a steady blowing wind with gusts, so why not put me and Mike (the camera dude) up on top of a ridge? Randy and Gerald and the boys went in and pushed the area and all that came by was a couple of mule deer does, and I had a whitetail doe tag.
river ridge 2.jpg
river ridge.jpg

Timothy and Gareth laid 'em down last week!
Cush - PM me your cell # and I'll send you over some of the photos I took from my corner of the tent. It was a mini Rende in there with all the food, drink, and BS.

Dude, jump in and post your stuff on the thread. You were part of the deal too. Tell Mike I said hi!

As many of you know, I just went on a deer hunt with Big Fin in Montana. I'm home and unpacked and hurting like hell, but it was an amazing trip. I'm not sure how I'm going to write all of this and I have pictures to situate, so forgive me for this short post. We went with Gerald and his 2 sons. We ran into shootsmanybullets, and Ross and his dad's hunt overlapped ours, and JCS showed up to say hi. There was some carnage in an area Randy supposedly ruined for hunting.

More to come...

I have been super excited to hear how this went since the last podcast. Its too bad it couldn't have been a livecast because I'm sure there were some truly hilarious moments that will never made it to TV or Youtube.

After pushing it hard all morning it was nice to take a break...
lunch.jpg
group lunch.jpg

I can't go somewhere and not be recognized
cush.jpg

In the evenings it was nice to relax with the official HT bear hunt drink of choice
coldsmoke.jpg

After a late tailgate lunch on Friday we were scratching our heads about where we should go for the evening hunt. Randy had one more spot in the area he wanted to check out, so we headed that direction.

On the way in I spotted several whitetail does on the private/public border of a large piece of BLM. It was in the same vicinity of where we had seen a couple nice whitetail bucks in the morning so we strategized a bit about how best to hunt it. After a brief assessment of the property and where the deer were we concluded that trying to push the deer to a spot where John could shoot had too many moving parts to be successful.

Gareth was looking to shoot his first deer, any deer and he was willing to walk the mile into where the deer were. Timothy decided he wanted to hang with the cool kids and jumped into the truck with Randy, John and Michael. They drove into the spot Randy picked out and Gareth and I eased into the riverbottom.

We made it in about three quarters of a mile when we spooked a doe out in front of us. She must have just caught some of our wind because she looped around in front at nearly two hundred yards and stopped quartering away. Gareth slid over to a tree trunk to get a rest and see how she looked through the scope. I asked if he felt steady and he replied that he thought he could make the shot. I told him to give it a try. When the gun went off it surprised me and the deer disappeared. Another doe came running out of that area and stopped about 75 yards away. I had thought I had seen a flash of white when he first shot like the deer went down, so I told him to hold off until we checked out his first shot. It turned out to be a good idea. His first shot had connected and he soon laid his hands on his first deer. I was a pretty proud Dad and he was super excited to have killed his first deer.

John was off having some excitement of his own at the same time Gareth was burning powder. Hopefully he'll pick up the tale for a bit...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back