Idaho black powder

pumatom

Looking into a black powder rifle that is legal in Idaho
I know that it's got to be a traditional type
Appreciate any suggestions

CVA and Traditions make "Northwest" muzzleloaders that are legal in Idaho. I just bought a CVA Optima, taking it out this weekend to get it dialed in.

Thanks for the info
Be interested in hearing what you think of your new CVA after you get some rounds through her

I'd personally would go with traditional sidelock. If you have to shoot black powder and musket caps, why not go the honest way?

I've actually got a tag and was contemplating one of the blackpowder hunts in a couple of weeks. But, didn't know that some guns weren't legal. Anyone care to clue me in??

Page 98 of the regs.

Muzzleloader Only Season
Any person hunting in a muzzleloader only season, including
controlled hunts, must have in their possession a license with
a muzzleloader permit validation. During a muzzleloaderonly
season, it is illegal to pursue or kill a big game animal
with any firearm, muzzleloading pistol, or weapon other
than a muzzleloading rifle or musket. In addition, the
muzzleloading rifle or musket must be:
•  Capable of being loaded only from the muzzle.
•  Equipped with only open or peep sights. Scopes and any
electronics are prohibited. Except hunters with a visual
disability may apply for a permit to use nonmagnifying
scopes. (Applications are available at Fish and Game
offices.)
•  Loaded only with loose black powder, loose Pyrodex, or
other loose synthetic black powder. Pelletized powders are
prohibited.
• Equipped with a single or double-barrel.
•  Loaded with a projectile that is within .010 inch of the
bore diameter. Sabots are prohibited.
•  Loaded with a patched round ball or conical non-jacketed
projectile comprised wholly of lead or lead alloy.
•  Equipped only with a flint, percussion cap or musket cap.
209 primers are prohibited.
•  Equipped with an ignition system in which any portion of
the cap is exposed or visible when the weapon is cocked and
ready to fire.
•  For additional information about muzzleloader equipment
visit https://idfg.idaho.gov/hunt/weapons/muzzleloader.

idnative1948:

1. Thanks for the reference. I feel stupid, but looks like I would have been in violation. But, better to look stupid on here than out in the woods.

2. Archery legal? I'm definitely going to give all regulations a closer look and not take anything for granted going forward.

3. Looks like I'm in the market for a new gun...

  Loaded with a patched round ball or conical non-jacketed
projectile comprised wholly of lead or lead alloy

Mmmm maybe the power belts do not comply with this section. What's your thoughts?

Dan

Yeah. My thoughts exactly... All bets off. I'm thinking flintlock or nothing to be on the safe side.

Some of us might look a little funny carrying around 5' flintlock while decked out in Sitka gear, with a mystery ranch pack, while glassing with a Swarovski spotting scope.

  Loaded with a patched round ball or conical non-jacketed
projectile comprised wholly of lead or lead alloy

Mmmm maybe the power belts do not comply with this section. What's your thoughts?

Dan

Their regs state that the plain lead powerbelts (not the copper plated ones) with a plastic seal are allowed.

Last edited:
If you look at the website idnative1948 posted, it shows a lead powerbelt in the legal category. The graphic on the webpage does help.

If you look at the website idnative1948 posted, it shows a lead powerbelt in the legal category. The graphic on the webpage does help.

Yes it does show the power belt so it must be okay to use. The definition can lead one to think they might not be okay but a picture is worth a 1000 words I guess.

Dan

What's wrong with your gun? 209 primer? If so, a couple places make breach plugs for musket caps. I think one for my Thompson Center is only $6.

Wow. I had no idea that was an option. I'm just not that we'll versed. But, yes. TC Encore that uses 209's. I've also missed more animals with this gun than any other. I chalk it up to practice, but I've got a lot more to learn.

I use a Lyman Great Plains Hunter and really enjoy it. The last Cow I took was 180 yards away. I found the slug flattened on the offside scapula. I like the traditional muzzle guns myself but that's just personal preference. If you go the traditional route pay attention to twist rates. Mine is 1:32. Powerbelts are my preference now. We have been messing with paper patched slugs designed for black powder cartridge use. While extremely accurate, I've yet to get a clear answer on legal or not so I've never hunted with them. The question comes in if the paper is considered a "patch" or a paper jacket. Since it falls off I would consider is a patch. We'll see.

Many manufactures make parts to make a not legal inline legal. Midway USA is a good place to find them. The plug to make my daughter's legal from 209 primers to musket caps was like $15. I've seen guys who have had a gunsmith drill out the area over the cap to make them "exposed" and now legal. New Northwest models have this feature. Just go down the list of requirements one by one and see if you can order parts or modify the gun to make it legal. It's actually pretty doable. When Inlines came out Idaho separated hunts with inline and Traditional hunts. Later consolidated them all with the equipment requirements in the regs. So a lot of modifications took place to make them legal. If you have one not compliant talk to a gunsmith and see what it will take. If you can just order parts you can do it yourself.

Muzzleloader hunting is fun and opens a lot of hunts that others are not willing to do. Good luck!

I use a Lyman Great Plains Hunter and really enjoy it. The last Cow I took was 180 yards away. I found the slug flattened on the offside scapula. I like the traditional muzzle guns myself but that's just personal preference. If you go the traditional route pay attention to twist rates. Mine is 1:32. Powerbelts are my preference now. We have been messing with paper patched slugs designed for black powder cartridge use. While extremely accurate, I've yet to get a clear answer on legal or not so I've never hunted with them. The question comes in if the paper is considered a "patch" or a paper jacket. Since it falls off I would consider is a patch. We'll see.

Many manufactures make parts to make a not legal inline legal. Midway USA is a good place to find them. The plug to make my daughter's legal from 209 primers to musket caps was like $15. I've seen guys who have had a gunsmith drill out the area over the cap to make them "exposed" and now legal. New Northwest models have this feature. Just go down the list of requirements one by one and see if you can order parts or modify the gun to make it legal. It's actually pretty doable. When Inlines came out Idaho separated hunts with inline and Traditional hunts. Later consolidated them all with the equipment requirements in the regs. So a lot of modifications took place to make them legal. If you have one not compliant talk to a gunsmith and see what it will take. If you can just order parts you can do it yourself.

Muzzleloader hunting is fun and opens a lot of hunts that others are not willing to do. Good luck!

Nice shooting! It goes to show you the old style rifle's do work. What did you have it sighted in for? If you shoot them a lot you will be amazed how effective they are.

Dan

Nice shooting! It goes to show you the old style rifle's do work. What did you have it sighted in for? If you shoot them a lot you will be amazed how effective they are.

Dan

I sighted for 100 yards. I put the buckhorn sights Lyman offers on the rear. The lower prongs are 100 and the upper prongs are 200. I use 90 grains of All American behind a 295 Powerbelt. I just tuned my powder load to match the sights after filing the front to 100 yards. I also filed the front sight narrower to make finer shooting easier. It helps to not have such a wide blade.

I agree a wide blade limits your range as it tends to cover your target. My longest shot was on a Whitetail buck at 135 yards with the stock TC Hawken sights. They worked fine but it was getting to be their maximum range.

Dan

T/C Hawken in either a .50 or .54 with a musket primer nipple on it would be my suggestion if you are in the market for a new one that is ID legal.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back