Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Hair cuts

RobG

A good shot but poor impact put this deer in adreneline mode Saturday. (I spent yesterday at the gunsmith figuring out what the hell was wrong with the rifle and after torquing everything it stacks bullets at 100yds.) The 2nd shot exit wound is shown and took out part of the lung and liver, but this deer would not die. It would bed down and keep her head low. When I got close it would bolt again. I finally took a neck shot and put it down, but after exiting the neck the bullet skimmed the ribs and gave the deer quite a haircut. Anyone else ever give a deer a hair cut?

IMG_0959.jpg

Last edited:
Not with a bullet, but with a bow. It also happened to be the biggest whitetail I've ever shot at. I hit a small limb that I overlooked about 5 feet from impact and it caused enough deflection in the arrow to just crease the back and cut out about a handful of hair. Talk about a let down....arrow was lined up and heading perfect until that point. My dad put a perfect 12 gauge sized hole through ones ear once with an errant shot. Luckily the second shot was a lot better! :D

I've never seen a haircut like that. I had a small buck one year that I had to shoot 3 times with a muzzleloader. The first hit he just kept on walking, the second put him on the ground, and as I was about 10 feet away from him I shuffled my feet in the leaves and he got up and took off. The third shot was in the neck so he stayed down. I made a decision to shoot a yearling doe last year since someone decided to slice it with a broadhead. After I skinned him I discovered that the first shot had hit a little low and somehow travelled around his ribcage and out the other side.
20161112_095046 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
Don’t have pics, but once when my oldest son was about 5 I let him play with the grunt call. He grunted up a 4~1 buck and I said you want me too shoot him, long story short I creased his neck and he dropped like a sack of taters. We thought he was dead and upon getting closer he was getting up and I had to shoot him again.

My dad and I were late season Doe hunting and he had one run and stop 3’ from him as he leaned next to a tree. He had the gun across his arms pointing directly at her so slid the safety off and pulled the trigger. She dropped right there and never twitched. I walked up to him and said wow that was weird, where did you hit her. He didn’t know but said it must of been good! I looked and there was no blood on the snow or her. I noticed her chest rising and steam from her breath. Dad I think you may want to shoot her again. Nahhh she’s dead, then she started to move and he fumbled around in surprise. He ended up shooting her in the next to put her back down. Upon exam his first shot went thru the ear, shaved the back of its head and they the top of the other ear. Absolutely nothing fatal about it, just a couple piercings and a hair cut. The muzzle blast concussion knocked her out is the best we could figure.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back