Caribou Gear

What do you do witrh the offal?

jtm307

I still have a couple of elk tags to fill between now and January 31, and I'm pondering what to do with the offal and hide. I usually only take what is legally (in WY) required plus the heart, "oysters," and sometimes the liver for the dogs. My plan for the next couple animals is to also keep the kidneys, caul fat, tongue, and hide for tanning or rawhide. Some ideas I have are liverwurst, chocolomo, and/or offal sausage. What do you do with the offal? Does anyone keep the intestines, pancreas, lungs, etc.?

We did gutless this year and I'm regretting not retrieving the heart and liver.

I've been doing gutless though have broken through the ribs to get the heart. If I shoot another animal this year I'll take the tongue. I'm planning on making cast bullet lube for my muzzleloaders using trim fat if I shoot something though it is low on my list of keeps. I typically don't eat digestive organs...just personal preference right now

I always take the heart and liver. I have thought about trying the kidneys and tongue on my own. I would probably taste everything else except brain if someone made it.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back