Montana Elk/Deer Success

406Born

Montana but currently living in SW Michigan
I was born in Montana and have lived there for approximately half of my life. I love hunting and especially elk hunting. As a resident of Montana I was able to pay $100 total for elk, deer, and bear tag along with a season fishing license. When I had to move out of state three years ago I said I would never pay the out of state fees for tags and I would just wait until I was able to move back out west to hunt elk. However I started watching Randy’s elk hunts and I couldn’t stand it. I coughed up the money and bought out of state tags.

I made a solo 1800 mile drive to Montana in archery season and was snowed out. It was so cold and more like rifle season than archery weather. There were no naps on sunny ridges like I think of during archery. In one week of hunting I saw two elk and heard two faint bugles so far away I couldn’t even tell where they were coming from and so I went home unsuccessful. I made a second trip for rifle season with the wife and kids and hunted 8 days before seeing my first legal bull. I spotted him at 900 yards and put a stalk on him. I thought when I got to about 300 yards I would have a shot but when I got Over there everything was different and the trees much taller and I could not see the elk. I kept going and got to within 40 yards before spotting the bull feeding up the mountain. I took my shot and he went less than 30 yards. He is probably the smallest bull I have ever killed and trophy hunters would scoff at him but I am so happy with him and the meat he will provide. I love the adventure of hunting and I love big antlers but I love the taste of elk meat just as much. After all the hard work and miles I put in I could not be happier. The weather was cold and snowy and I had to put chains on the truck almost every time I went out. I was so discouraged because hunting was so slow and at night I would watch some of Randy’s videos,listen to elk talk, and read these forums to keep my motivation. I am so happy I kept going and finally got some elk meat. He was a beast to get out and luckily I had some good friends who were willing to help.

6B4359A3-3A31-49A4-842A-7EDD424A0076.jpg

After getting my elk I was holding out for a giant mule deer. I had a tall 4 point get away before presenting me with a shot and I never saw him again. On my second to last day in Montana I ran into a whitetail and his rack was so symmetrical I couldn’t pass him up. I lost my knife while field dressing him and had to go back later to find it after some of the snow melted. I was able to find my knife and stage a photo with my future hunting partner.

90F43E20-AAE6-483B-BC31-76D1440958AF.jpg2DBA85C5-2FC7-4E41-8111-DEBB20F94CD0.jpg

I am so thankful for Montana, for wild elk, for public land and for Randy Newberg’s videos which made me realize how much I missed elk hunting and made me apply for out of state tags. Neither animals will make the record book but I am so happy with my diy solo public land animals.

Congrats!! Looks like a great trip. I was wondering the same thing about the Montana come home to hunt tag? Did you look into it?

Congrats!! Looks like a great trip. I was wondering the same thing about the Montana come home to hunt tag? Did you look into it?

Yes I looked into both the come home to hunt and non resident native tags. I was super excited when I first saw them but unfortunately I no longer have a immediately family member there that would allow me to qualify.

Great animals. Glad you could enjoy hunting in your home state again. And hope you get to move back soon.

Hunting in the snow solo day after day for elk is tough.
Way to get it done!
Thanks. Tougher than the hunting was getting up knowing it was 0 degrees and I had to put chains on again to get to where I wanted to hunt. After being home for a couple weeks though and eating the wonderful elk steaks and burger I would do it again tomorrow in a second.

Very nice bull and buck!! I would be very happy with a combo like that, and your son will be a go-getter from following his dad! Congrats on a very successful hunt

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back