Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

How small a buck would you shoulder mount?

i have a lot of mounts and still enjoy them but I'm starting to wonder as we can't live forever, what the heck is going to happen to all these when I'm gone or close to gone? My son would probably take a few but he has his own and so what's gonna happen to them? Anyone have any suggestions or ever fretted over this dilemma themselves?

Nice post Greenhorn, very entertaining. I suppose that is an example of something you mentioned "done dumber things, on purpose, at twice her age."? :)

I'm mounting my 9 point whitetail that I killed earlier this season. He was 6.5 years old I scored him at 109 inches. Doesn't sound big but when considering the area he was in I doubt I'll ever kill another one that big. Even that old is hard enough anywhere. I would still kill that same quality of deer in any of the other areas I hunt in state, but wouldn't mount it because it's not big in comparison to what is normally a big buck. Last season in Missouri I killed a 130 inch 8 point and had it mounted since it was the first rack buck I've ever killed. He is still a pretty deer to look at, but now that I will be hanging up my 9 point I wish I would have skull mounted my Missouri deer.

Late post so not sure if you have made your decision yet, but if you want to fill a space for a shoulder mount I would recommend holding off until you kill something that is exceptionally good or means more to you than other deer. But as long as you enjoy it and are proud of it nothing else matters

As was mentioned earlier, you can always do a euro and then go back at a later date and get a shoulder done. I shot a 155" whitetail last year and my wife shot a 140+ whitetail this year. I think the euro looks amazing for both..but that's just me!

A friend of mine from high school had his first elk mounted, it was a spike! Really seem's weird to me to go into his house and the only mount he has on the wall is a spike elk! Doesn't matter though, he like's it and that's all that matter's.

My rule of thumb is 1 shoulder mount per species. I only get a shoulder mount done if I think the animal very well could be the biggest I will ever shoot of that species.

With that said I have 2 elk shoulder mounts, the first was a nice 300" 6 point that I shot in 2010 and wasn't sure if I would ever shoot another bigger. Then I shot my big one in 2013. I doubt I will ever shoot another bigger.

I have a 181" mule deer currently mounted and a 78" pronghorn shoulder mount as well.

I've shot over 10 whitetails but still haven't gotten one that I really think will be the biggest I will ever shoot. Shot my biggest so far this year and it scored 131" or 135" depending on how you count a typical/nontypical tine. My oldest whitetail was aged by a lab at 8.5 years old but he only scored 112".

I've done european mounts on all of them though. They take up so much less space and are free if you put in a little bit of work.

But as others have said, you can mount whatever you want and they are your memories.

Last edited:
A real trophy is one you can pin it's rack to a cork board with a couple thumb tacks. I believe all dinks should be displayed appropriately.

Most people don't even notice I have a trophy of a lifetime buck hanging in my office at work. This is an archery buck that I mistakenly thought I could put an antlerless B tag on due to short length. But due to his magnificent beam length, I had to put an either sex B tag on him. These are the kinds of monster bucks than roam the river near where TJones and shoots straight live.

He graces my wall and reminds me of an amazing hunt and my fledgling decision making abilities in the mid 90s. I do also remember he yielded about 30lbs of marginal tasting venison.

looks like a pretty good memory board right there. Congrats

If you feel you will shoot plenty more that will be bigger, consider a euro. If you don't think you will run out of wall space and this is going to be the better than average deer have at it. I have a bunch of euro mounts on my wall now and a bunch of shoulder mounts sitting in a pile on the basement floor... Declutter time.

Thinking about doing a 3x4, 130" Mulie. Don't have a shoulder mount for the wall and would like one, but it's not really a "wall hanger." Plus $600 for the mount makes me pause a second.

Other than first bucks, what's the smallest you would do?

If your encounter and take of that deer gives you pride in the accomplishment then I'd say go for it. You'll likely take bigger deer in the future but your memory and appreciation of the encounter and the trophy it represents will never diminish. Six hundred dollars may seem big now but in ten years you won't even think about it.

To me its both memory of hunt or circumstances that lead up to the kill, but aside from that the animal needs to meet a size requirement as well. Basically meaning and older deer. I mainly hunt Whitetails. I mounted my first "good" buck which scored 148. Since that deer i think have mounted 6 whitetails that score between 150-165 . Most in low 150's. A solid 150 plus is pretty hard to find in my area, they dont make many. From now on high 150's ++ is what it will probly take to mount one. Space is always an issue so for me the "Size" of mount is main factor. Plaques and Euros are for fine for memories on smaller bucks that may end up in the freezer in the future.

I'd for sure go euro. If you feel like you want it mounted in 10 years, grab a cape and mount it. But learn how to macerate it clean and hang it up. The longer I have hunted, the better my field pics have become. So for me, enlarging a nice print and framing it has been something I have enjoyed and it is very cost effective. I moved 5 times in my adult life and shoulder mount deer and caribou have created a lot of expense and hassle. Barring some kind of record book critter, mine will all be euro mounts.

Exception being a lion. If I ever get one, I'll do a nice rug with a lion.

Thinking about doing a 3x4, 130" Mulie. Don't have a shoulder mount for the wall and would like one, but it's not really a "wall hanger." Plus $600 for the mount makes me pause a second.

Other than first bucks, what's the smallest you would do?
I've never had one big enough for a wall mount! I actually prefer the skullcap with antlers or a European mount! I like to take care of the animal the whole way through. But that's just me. I think you should mount it any way you want!

Size shouldn’t matter. You liked him enough to shoot him, so I’m sure you wouldn’t mind seeing him each day. If you’re happy then who cares.

It’s all personal choice. I’d rather have a mount of a deer from meaningful or special experience than one of the world record deer farm pet for others to gawk at.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back