MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Branch-antlered donation to the Helena Food Pantry

That's a tough decision to make its good for people to hear stories like this. Wardens aren't the jerks that we as hunters sometimes make them out to be. I had a conversation with a warden a couple weeks ago that had a similar story with the same outcome.

I will say I find it funny that there are people blasting a 14 year old girl for shooting the wrong critter and there hasn't been a single negative comment here for an adult that made a similar mistake. I keep waiting for schmalts to chime in and call you stupid....

I've never had something like this happen, but I worry about it happening to myself or someone in my family. These type of posts help me.

Way to man up and own your mistake. It is easy to say "Oh, I would do the same" over a keyboard but we are truly tested when nobody is watching. I'm glad to hear the outcome worked out for you.

I will say I find it funny that there are people blasting a 14 year old girl for shooting the wrong critter and there hasn't been a single negative comment here for an adult that made a similar mistake. I keep waiting for schmalts to chime in and call you stupid....

I also find it interesting. I think it is partly because the difference between a legal animal and the animal I shot did not involve a different species, and partly because I was the one who wrote this post, while the girl did not have the same luxury.
Also, I am sure some people do think I'm stupid for what happened. They might be right....who cares. If being stupid is a prerequisite for making a mistake...there are a lot of stupid people out there, and I'm certainly one.

I think part of the problem with society (yes, I realize the gross generalization) today is that we are taught to be intolerant of mistakes and that it's not ok to fail. I'm working toward having a different perspective on both subjects. This experience will linger in my mind for a long time and certainly be the cause of a few deep breaths the next time a bull walks into my scope....but I will not internalize the shame as part of my character. I have a deep suspicion that those who throw judgment from the peanut gallery will have a harder time with the shame when their turn comes.

That's a tough decision to make its good for people to hear stories like this. Wardens aren't the jerks that we as hunters sometimes make them out to be. I had a conversation with a warden a couple weeks ago that had a similar story with the same outcome.

Not similar at all when she shot an elk while whitetail hunting compared to what he did on the type of rack his bull had!

Good on you, you did the right thing. I too have made a similar mistake during my first year of hunting and had the same outcome.

Thanks for sharing the experience, some folk here will no doubt benefit from it.

I also find it interesting. I think it is partly because the difference between a legal animal and the animal I shot did not involve a different species, and partly because I was the one who wrote this post, while the girl did not have the same luxury.
Also, I am sure some people do think I'm stupid for what happened. They might be right....who cares. If being stupid is a prerequisite for making a mistake...there are a lot of stupid people out there, and I'm certainly one.

I think part of the problem with society (yes, I realize the gross generalization) today is that we are taught to be intolerant of mistakes and that it's not ok to fail. I'm working toward having a different perspective on both subjects. This experience will linger in my mind for a long time and certainly be the cause of a few deep breaths the next time a bull walks into my scope....but I will not internalize the shame as part of my character. I have a deep suspicion that those who throw judgment from the peanut gallery will have a harder time with the shame when their turn comes.

I think you're right and I would never call anyone stupid for making a mistake like that. I have a feeling most of us have made similar mistakes while in the field, I know I have. It makes you feel about two inches tall when you make a mistake like that.

TG- Being intolerant of mistakes is what makes people afraid to come forward with mistakes. When you make an honest mistake, there is no public humiliation needed. The guilt people bare when they make an honest mistake is usually enough. I understand the situation with the 14 year old girl is different in the fact she could not even correctly identify the animal she was after but I believe the situations are somewhat similar. Both parties shot an animal that wasn't legal to shoot and they both self reported. Both situations should be used as a learning experience instead of questioning someone's intelligence. I know grown men that have made worse decisions than that young woman did.

TG- Being intolerant of mistakes is what makes people afraid to come forward with mistakes. When you make an honest mistake, there is no public humiliation needed. The guilt people bare when they make an honest mistake is usually enough. I understand the situation with the 14 year old girl is different in the fact she could not even correctly identify the animal she was after but I believe the situations are somewhat similar. Both parties shot an animal that wasn't legal to shoot and they both self reported. Both situations should be used as a learning experience instead of questioning someone's intelligence. I know grown men that have made worse decisions than that young woman did.

Agree with everything here 100%.

I know of many people that would have just gutted and gilled that elk and head right home. Very admirable thing of you to do by calling it in. I like to surround myself with hunting partners and friends of your caliber.

You did the right thing. I also had to make that same call in 2013 while in Alaska on a great moose tag. I could have easily left the animal to the bears and wolves but didn't even consider it. I worked two days to get the meat to camp knowing it would rightly be taken by F&G. I learned a valuable lesson and mistakes happen all the time in the heat of the moment. What. Separates the good from the bad is how you act after the incident occurs. You my friend did the right and moral thing. It tells me your ethics are where other hunters should be.

You got guts for posting this. Hunt enough and eventually you will make a "mistake". After waterfowl hunting 20-60 days a year since the age of 12 I misidentified a bird in my mid 20's. I was honest about it to the game warden and he still cited me. After appearing in court and stating my case to the judge he dismissed it stating there was no criminal intent. The warden got pissed and handed the case off to a federal game warden who recited me by mail almost a year later. The catch with federal game violations is that you can plead guilty and pay a fine and it is a less severe misdemeanor of go to court and fight it and if you lose it is a more severe misdemeanor that stays on your record. I plead guilty and payed the fine. I like to tell myself if something like that ever happened again I would do the right thing. One thing is for sure from that day forward I think twice before I pull the trigger every time. I tell my kids there is no such thing as a mistake in hunting. If there is a mistake in hunting something died that shouldn't have. That's just not acceptable.

Character and Integrity are the only two words that come to mind for you Sir. It would have been easy to sneak the meat out but how many nights of sleep would you have lost. Your conscience and piece of mind are worth more that an elk tag and the minimal fine. Also, big kudos to the Montana FWC for their common sense approach to self reporting.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back