PEAX Equipment

Anybody do a Train to Hunt Challenge?

dannyb278

Thinking about doing a Train to Hunt Event this year. I haven't been able to nail down some info, and am hoping someone here could help out. If you have competed, at what known distance did you shoot at?

I did my own version, it was 100 yards. Archery. Slam a beer, set the empty on the target, run back 100 yards, shoot the can. I took first place, but I was the only competitor.

I did my own version, it was 100 yards. Archery. Slam a beer, set the empty on the target, run back 100 yards, shoot the can. I took first place, but I was the only competitor.

Yes, but did you hit the can in the vitals?

OP, at first blush I thought you were talking about the train from Silverton to Durango.

Make sure you have the requisite flat brim hat and knee high socks.

Beast mode.

Thinking about doing a Train to Hunt Event this year. I haven't been able to nail down some info, and am hoping someone here could help out. If you have competed, at what known distance did you shoot at?

I think a lot of that is variable depending on each event and location. Your best bet is to contact them.

If you practice with your shirt off you can drill bullseyes at 200yds no prob.

Bow-Shooting-at-the-Range-with-Friends-low-res1.jpg

Attachments

• imagesHQO2XJ6V.jpg
    imagesHQO2XJ6V.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 338
I am not bashing what these guys to to train. I am almost 50 and my wife is slightly older. We had never been on a western hunt before. We trained in the extreme heat and humidity of Florida for almost a year. Walked a lot of miles on the weekends and did steps during the week with our packs on. The 14" and 18" boxes I made from plywood for about $50 and I carries sand bags or 50 pound sacks of corn in my pack for the weight. We fared just fine and we are certainly no fitness models. We logged over 30 miles in 5 days and didn't lose our feet or legs in the process. I work 12 plus hours most days and do not have the time for these 2 plus hour workouts. We did buy an incline treadmill this year to help when it's 200% humidity at 6AM in August.

This comment immediately took my post off the rails but I love it anyways.

Goat hunters in Colorado are know to ride a train to hunt G5. Does that count as "a train to hunt" challenge success?

"Can I bring firearms on board the train?
Passengers are not permitted to carry firearms on the train. Backpackers and hunters may arrange for firearms to be transported as freight. Please contact Special Handling in the Reservation Office at 970-385-8832 to make arrangements."

http://www.durangotrain.com/faqs#.Wg0rMrbMxAY

I'm not sure what you mean about shooting at a known distance. If you're referencing the athletic portion of the event, the known distance means you do each of the exercises and then take your shot at a target from a shooting line. Each of your four shots are from the same line and you can range the target prior to beginning the event. The range is 20-40 yds. I think it was 25-30 when I did it last year.

I can assure everyone here that very few competitors look like the photo above or any of the other "facebook/instagram" fitness hunters. The event is for average joes as well as fitness minded people. I watched a 60yr old lady outshoot 90% of the men last year. I came in 5th in the 3d course and finished almost last in the fitness portion, but I did finish.

Try it. There are no 2-hour workouts. Its training for hunting the same way mentioned above. Wear your pack, do work, shoot your bow. Pretty simple and no gym required.

I did it last year....I came in 5th in the 3d course and finished almost last in the fitness portion, but I did finish....Try it.

Did you just go to the event, or did you join one of their training programs before going to an event? Would you do it again? And which event did you go to? Thanks :)

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back