MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Browning BLR .358 Winchester

Nameless Range

For the last 20 years I have hunted with a Remington 700 in .308. It has been a great gun. Last week, on my last chance at a pronghorn buck, I missed two shots I shouldn't have. I went and visited my folks, and my dad lent me his Ruger M77 .358 Winchester. I've killed a few elk and deer with this gun, and I subsequently went out and shot an elk with it that evening..

I've been thinking about buying a new hunting rifle for a long time, and I really like the .358. I am admittedly not very knowledgeable when it comes to guns, reloading, calibers, etc. The vast majority of my hunting is in thicker woods, and I can't remember the last time I took a shot over 200 yards. The other day I shot the elk with a 225 grain bullet, and it sure thumped her. In looking at guns in the .358 caliber, I am drawn to the Browning BLR lightweight w/ pistol grip. I held one the other day and it felt right.

There is a good thread praising the BLR on HuntTalk.

https://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?275074-Browning-blr&highlight=Browning

ChuckHawks also has a good short essay on the cartridge itself:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/358Win_mystery.htm

Any input or experience with this rifle and/or cartridge for use in hunting for a guy with limited knowledge on either subject?

You can't go wrong with a Browning. I've been shooting an A-bolt in 7mm mag for over 20 years. I have always liked the looks of the BLR, but I'd be afraid to hunt with it because it's such a beautiful gun. I have a BAR in .270 and I feel the same way about it. I only take it out when I know the chances of scratching it are minimal.

Last edited:
I have a BLR in 7mm08, and it is surprisingly accurate. It is now my go to gun for both elk and deer. Lightweight and fun to hunt with.

They don’t exactly have a match grade trigger. Other than that, good guns. I had a .308 I bought in high school and used for about 8 years.

A BLR in 308 was my first rifle. My grandpa took me to a gun show when I was 11 and I saw a BLR on one of the tables. I mowed lawns all summer so I could buy one before hunting season came that year.

It's surprisingly accurate for a lever gun. MOA or better with handloads.

like JL said, The trigger leaves a lot to be desired but you wont go wrong with a BLR.

BLRs are great woods guns, nicely balanced and providing fast follow-up shots. That said, a new gun is not the best cure for missing w your 308. I know it dents our confidence to miss, but solving any gun/scope accuracy problem and more trigger time restores that confidence. 358 is a fine round (308 case w heavier .358 bullet, more recoil), but no antelope or deer can tell the difference between getting shot w that vs 7-08 or 308. Those calibers would top my list of BLR chamberings, along w 270 and 30-06 if I wanted more power or longer reach.

BLRs are great woods guns, nicely balanced and providing fast follow-up shots. That said, a new gun is not the best cure for missing w your 308. I know it dents our confidence to miss, but solving any gun/scope accuracy problem and more trigger time restores that confidence. 358 is a fine round (308 case w heavier .358 bullet, more recoil), but no antelope or deer can tell the difference between getting shot w that vs 7-08 or 308. Those calibers would top my list of BLR chamberings, along w 270 and 30-06 if I wanted more power or longer reach.

It's solid advice, but sheesh. Never talk a man out of buying a new gun. It's just not cool! :)

Thank you for all the replies. The Takedown version of the BLR is sexy, but I really like the walnut stock.

You're absolutely right elkduds. I can't blame the gun, my misses were on me. I'm just interested in a change and switching guns and enjoying the .358 was the catalyst to my current line of thought. I like the idea of shooting heavier bullets, since I never shoot at the longer (200+ yard) ranges anyway.

My dad switched to a BLR in .308 about 10 years ago. the gun is awesome! The only reason I don't buy one is because he already has one and I still might. They come in 450 marlin as well, very sweet round. I would go with a .308 or step up to the 450marlin over the .358. Its easier to find ammo in 450 marlin since it doesn't sound like you reload and I agree what other have said, I don't think the .358 has much benefit over a 180g .308 Winchester. unless you just love the 358 and in that case get one

For sure. I intended to suggest reasons for buying guns in other calibers, particularly a lever action. Just something about those, pilgrim.

If we were really mean, we'd tempt him with a 1930's vintage Model 71 deluxe. :)

I have a BLR in .308 (30 years now). Love it so much I developed a new load this summer that is under MOA.

I've always thought one in .358 Win would be super fun. You have a positive vote from me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back