PEAX Equipment

Not sad about my buck anymore

VAspeedgoat

For those of you who didn't read my post from last week I'll explain. I got my younger sin out of school early for some one on one time since his old brother got to go on a trip to Wyoming. He had a muzzleloader misfired and the big buck ended up coming to me. It was 170lb 8 point. Its my bigest bodied deer to date.

Well, today I did the same thing but went to my sisters farm. We were trying to get into position for a small 4 pt when I caught a glimpse of this buck. The wind died down and the air was silent when I bleated at him. He quickly responded and came into range. 5 minutes and one shot later he was down. He thinks his muzzleloader misfired at this buck last winter and of course the one this fall. So we have decided to put on the deers plaque that this is to the one that got away. What a change a week makes.

He was 16.5" inside and 160lb. The pictures dont show it well but the brow tines are flattened and the right side has a sticker that makes it palmated looking.

Attachments

• KIMG0580_zpsosj9kue5.jpg
    KIMG0580_zpsosj9kue5.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 700
  • KIMG0581_zpshni9jx65.jpg
    KIMG0581_zpshni9jx65.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 698
Outstanding! Happy for both of you!

What do you think is causing the misfires?

Outstanding! Happy for both of you!

What do you think is causing the misfires?

I actually have a thread on this but never posted a follow up. I have smokeless muzzleoaders and the one powder that has data for reduced recoil loads is apparently finicky. We switched to magnum primers and I thought that had it fixed. What I ended up doing was upping the charge 5 grains to what my older son shoots. The gun makes a much different sound with that load. More of an instant bang. The lighter charge had more of a snap bang like it wasn't burning and pressurizing correctly. May be my imagination, but so far there hasn't been any issues on the range or now on game. If it had misfired again, I may have chucked it into the creek for him.

Now that’s what we’re talkin’ about! Awesome turn of events. Congratulations!!!!

Now that’s awesome. Your persistence and dedication to your boy mean way more than that deer—and that’s an awesome deer. Congratulations to you and your son!

Wow you guys have each shot bucks bigger than anything I’ve even seen in the woods while hunting congratulations to you both that is awesome give him a pat on the back from me!

Man that's awesome. Congrats to you both. How old is your son? Mine is 10 and has killed 2 with his 7mm08. He ask about everyday if he can shoot my muzzleloader but I don't want to rush it and get him flinching.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back