Colorado Unit 82 - 4th Rifle

smw110136

This will be my last chance to get out an elk hunt in CO this season. I have a fourth rifle cow tag for Unit 82. I have hunted "close" to there before and understand its rough country and also home to Great Sand Dunes NP. I don't need anything specific as far as information, but want to know if anyone has any clue what the hunting has been like for 3rd rifle that just ended. What elevation/areas I should be trying to find a cow during this later season. Any idea what the snow is like in those areas. Any info at all is appreciated!

Not much of any snow up high or anywhere at the moment. Family says the public land folks are having try and catch them moving with pressure as they try to escape to private. He's seen a few come out of the areas near the Sand Dunes and further north of Villa Grove. His only guess is for guys to try cut them off on their way down to private. Wish I knew more and could point a better direction. Sounds like the 82 hunts been tough all year.

Not much of any snow up high or anywhere at the moment. Family says the public land folks are having try and catch them moving with pressure as they try to escape to private. He's seen a few come out of the areas near the Sand Dunes and further north of Villa Grove. His only guess is for guys to try cut them off on their way down to private. Wish I knew more and could point a better direction. Sounds like the 82 hunts been tough all year.

That's all good information and I appreciate it. I just wanted to try and figure out what's been going on out in that area as i haven't been down there since early archery

Around the Sand Dunes, traditionally, a lot of the Elk run for the Baca Grande private lands South of Crestone quite a bit when hunting season starts. If you are planning on hunting there, you might be able to poke around the fringes of this area and catch something coming or going.
I live across the San Luis Valley, and can see the Sangre range from here, and there's not much snow currently, but that changes fast when a single storm blows in. I don't know of any bad weather headed through here though for the next week though.

That's all good information and I appreciate it. I just wanted to try and figure out what's been going on out in that area as i haven't been down there since early archery
Not sure what deal is or what public pressure is. All I know is he has had 200 head of elk move onto private during archery and has 600 now after 3rd. I know early sees great hunting high. Agree with the above poster. Try cut them off headed down. No good storms forecasted. Sucks.

And for what its worth. I had a buddy kill a small bull at 9500ft in 86 (just on the other side of the pass) on the last day of third rifle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back