I just couldn't pass him up......Alberta Mule Deer hunt

bonedogg

Well after seeing him come out of draw chasing a doe at last light, we knew he had mass but was short and couldn't see what he had. We tried to find him in the am and found another buck for a buddy that was on the trip. After all the work was done we decided to walk the coulee he came from the night before and after 2 miles we were 225 yds from him looking straight away from us bedded in a coulee with his ten does. I put the spotter on him and whispered to my buddy that I could see he had 8 points on the passenger and a bunch going on with the driver. He turned to me and said ...."but his frame is soooo short?!". I quickly responded by saying,"if you aint shooting him I will!!", his response had me jacking a shell into the chamber soo fast I knew what was happening next. I stepped up the five steps beside him and settled the .260 Remington on the bucks chest as he stood up to see what the two dots on the horizon were. one shot and he was skidding to the bottom of the coulee for his final rest. the walk up was intense and I thanked my buddy for passing on him. I knew he was short but had no idea he was this kind of deer. In the end we all shot the biggest mule deer of our lives and had more fun than 6 guys can imagine.FullSizeRender.jpg

Ha! You made the right call!!!
Is your buddy still kicking himself?
I need a hunting partner like him.
Incredible buck - well done!!!

If those two bucks were standing together I'd have probably shot that typical because I love them over trash, but if I had seen that NT like you did I would have also given him a dirt nap without giving it a second thought!

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back