winter/snow hunting pants

Wapiti Warrior

I have been hunting with old heavy wool pants all my life when the weather turns cold and snowy. But they are starting to wear out and thought maybe it was time to update my gear. What do you recommend for a guy who likes to hike, but occasionally sit on a ridge and glass? There are so many companies now a days that are selling all kinds of clothes that I thought I would ask for help from my hunting family who would have some experience wearing something they like.

Thanks,
John

I got the kuiu guide pants for late season hunts and I really like them. They have vents for dumping heat when you are hiking up a ridge but are pretty warm for glassing sessions. If it's really cold I might add some zip on down pants.

Kuiu Guide pants for me too. Down to about 15-20 degrees I like the Attack pants. Below that, the Guides.

My recipe lately has been a good pair of wool or wool blend long johns and a light pair of quiet waterproof pants. Let’s you hike as far as you need without getting wet from the slop around you. Quite a bit cheaper than the high end cold weather gear others have mentioned. I might be more inclined to go that route if I wasn’t on a tight budget right now

You won’t find better cold weather pants than wool. I wear a medium weight wool pant from temperatures in the 40s to 30s. Colder than 30ish I’ll move to a thicker wool pant.

You won’t find better cold weather pants than wool. I wear a medium weight wool pant from temperatures in the 40s to 30s. Colder than 30ish I’ll move to a thicker wool pant.

Yep.

Merino long johns, wool pants, wool cap.

I love wool as well....until the wind starts howling. Then I usually put a windproof pant over a good pair of wool base layers.

I go to wool if its below zero. Otherwise I like Sitka mountain pants with merino base layer.

LOTS of ways to skin this cat. Any decent softshell with an intact DWR will repel snow in winter temps and breathe enough to keep internal moisture at bay. For falling slush conditions I like superlight base layer under a wp/breathable shell. Anything colder and a midweight Arc'teryx or NW Alpine softshell w/ gaiters is my preference. My favorite winter hiking fabric of all time is Polartec Powershield Pro--see Patagonia Knifeblade and some generations of Arc'teryx Gamma MX.

Do you guys that are wearing wool pants wear gaiters for the snow or does it really even matter when it gets that cold? I have a wool coat and it's the warmest thing I have when it gets really cold.

Do you guys that are wearing wool pants wear gaiters for the snow or does it really even matter when it gets that cold? I have a wool coat and it's the warmest thing I have when it gets really cold.

I’ll wear gaiters in rain or wet conditions. I’m 50/50 with snow depending on how wet are the conditions and the boots I’m wearing. If I’m wearing pacs hiking in dry powder, I don’t wear gaiters.

Yes, otherwise when you step in deep snow it will lift your pant leg and you will get snow in your boot. They also help keep your feet warm by partially covering your boot.

Yes, otherwise when you step in deep snow it will lift your pant leg and you will get snow in your boot. They also help keep your feet warm by partially covering your boot.

Yep, this.

I can put up with a lot, but cold, wet feet while hunting make me want to quit immediately.

Previous years I've been using wool pants and gaiters and they work well. This year I've been using Sitka Ascent pants and, while warm with my smartwool base layer, my legs under the gaiters are soaked through after walking in deep snow. Has anyone else had this issue? Maybe snow is getting around my gaiters and the pants aren't waterproof enough? Is this an issue with other Sitka pants?

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back