Caribou Gear

What's on the smoker today?

Awesome brisket, burnt ends are the best part I think.
A little smoked sea salt getting started, jalapeno this time with oak/pecan smoke. Probably be a 2 day smoke, it will need 16-20 hours for best color and flavor.

DSCN1418 (960x720).jpg

KIMG0690.jpg
KIMG0693.jpg
After all this pastrami talk I decided to give it a go. Sliced thin and enjoyed. Turned out well for my first time, going to make some tweaks next time but happy with the final product! I

Couple weekends ago my brother and I made some bacon and summer sausage, both turned out great! IMG_4946.jpg
IMG_4947.jpg
My half-
IMG_4948.jpg

Smoking some salmon and pork today, ribs and a feral hog shoulder.
Anyone else firing it up?

I'm going to smoke some chicken wings today. They brined overnight with salt, brown sugar and maple sugar in water. I'm still thinking about what to use for a dry rub.

Wings sound great. I like a sweet and spicy rub, that's what I put on my ribs. Will you fry those wings after they smoke? I like them right off the smoker but we have friends that fry them after the smoke for that crispy skin.

IMG_0353 (960x640).jpg

Got a 8lb pork shoulder that’s been on since 8am. Adding 2 whole chickens here in about an hour.

First time of the year and I'm trying some ribs for the first time.

Ribs and salmon. Oak and pecan wood mix for smoke and Hi Mountain brown sugar cure for the salmon.

IMG_0358 (960x640).jpgDSCN1462 (960x720).jpg

..3 differently seasoned racks of baby backs. We watched a couple of episodes of BBQ Pitmasters last night...terrible 'realty' scripting but it'll sure make ya hungry for barbecue.

My wings came out pretty good. I didn't get a picture of them though lol I brined them overnight in a pretty sweet brine with salt, brown sugar, and maple sugar. My dry rub was a little sweet, but next time I will add a bit more heat to it. Overall the taste was pretty nice with the sweeter wings against the Frank's red hot.

I have a couple turkey breasts, and the thighs/legs in the brine right now. I'll take them out of the brine tomorrow evening, dry them and put them in the fridge until Tuesday. Smoking them over apple wood, glazing one breast in honey chipolte and the other in sweet onion glaze. The legs/thighs will get a dry rub of some sorts. I'm planning on taking the meat off of them for something akin to "pulled turkey" BBQ.

I do them in a slow cooker overnight with salsa and beer. Then you can pull the meat right off the bones and tendons and shred it and it's very tender.

I have beef ribs dry brining in the refer to smoke Texas style tomorrow. Also have 2 elk eye of rounds in pastrami cure for smoking next Sunday.

Back